Get in the Hog if you want to live!

Slagathor

War game potential map remakes?

Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:31 am

Do you think that it would be to game breaking for 343i, to release a classic map pack inspired by all of the fan favourites from previous halo titles?

The argument between whether porting old content as an idea for potential dlc, has been a hotly debated topic in the past. Purists have argued that such propositions allow for the re-implementation of redundant content that may not even work well with the title; as the maps may play compleately differently than on previous iterations of the series. Following this point, they also cite this notion as a direct inhibition to developer faith and dlc innovation. Stating that it is an easy investment or copy and paste initiative, aimed at devaluing good/balanced competitve play.

Inversly, supporters of recycling popular content call these claims an "inflammable affront" to their rights as consumers. Stating, it is a bs excuse aimed at silencing the potential for appeasing their side of the community. Supporters claim that where there is potential for an "old glory" attempt at re-incarnating a good classic, we should take it. While it may not be a guaranteed success, its exsitence displays a symbolic gesture of faith between loving fans and nostalgic developers.

So as a gamer and a follower of the halo franchise, where do you stand?

I would like to see a remake of the halo 2 classic map containment. Please post your thoughts about this subject and any other remake ideas that you would like to see implemented if at all possible.

Icebird
Double Mythic
Double Mythic
Gamertag: HWM ICEBIRD

Re: War game potential map remakes?

Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:37 am

I am a fan of remakes. Generally speaking I think it's a good thing. If many people's assumptions are correct there will be a remake in Map Pack #2 called Skyline - though it's unknown what it is for sure.

I guess there can be downsides though... Ivory Tower was one of my favorite 2 maps in Halo 2 and Reflection was one of my LEAST favorite in Reach. No real obvious reasong why.

I will say though that Halo does their remakes right. (Ragnarok is perhaps the best remake I've ever seen - spot on perfect!) Halo, 343, Bungie... all the remakes are given the care and artistry that a brand new map recieves. I don't play a lot of COD, but it seems like the repeats are pretty much just ports.

One Halo map that's never been remade and I REALLY want to see is Boarding Action. If it worked in Halo CE with only pistols to use cross-map why wouldn't it work with the DMR/BR? (Something like Chiron would clearly not work with standard loadouts in H4) I also would like to see some of the Halo PC maps make their way into matchmaking again - there's some I've never seen. I'd also love a true Sanctuary remake, and not something that's just forged together. I enjoy the maps for their beauty as well as their playability. ::thumbs::

The quickness of the map pack releases, (Map Pack #3 comes out in April) and the whole mess of empty time between that and Halo 5 (in 2014?) leads me to believe there will be a "Halo 2 Anniversary" next year with a whole map pack of remakes as with Halo Anniversary last year.
~ HWM ICEBIRD ~
~ 117 Consecutive Weekly Challenges Completed in Halo: Reach ~
~ 2010 & 2011 Hogoff First Loser ~

Check out HWM ICEBIRD'S Halo Videos!

Bloody Initiate
Passenger Gunner
Passenger Gunner
Gamertag: Bloody Initiate

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:34 am

I was glad they re-made Valhalla, I maintain that Valhalla is the BEST halo map ever made. It's very interesting to see how it plays just a little differently in Halo 4, but how the map generally is won and lost for the same reasons. They were also very wise not to change it much imo. It really is the best ever, and changing it, even the color scheme, would have felt wrong. I'm not even a purist, but Valhalla, like its name, feels like sacred ground. I hate playing badly there.
^ Credits to Mics R4 Chumps

Black Knight
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM BlacKnight

Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:54 pm

I don't like Valhalla in Halo 4 as it plays nothing like the original mainly due to the DMR being a hitscan min-sniper. Locking down the hill isn't important anymore since you can just stay at FlatRock all game and receive snipers and lasers as ordnance drops. It's kind of killed BTB for me.

Moving on to other remakes, as much as I would love to see them they just wouldn't work well in Halo 4. Maps such as Lockout, Midship and Warlock would all play horribly with Sprint and AA's. To me it seems 343 has moved away from 4vs4 being the traditional Halo experience to 6vs6 hence why their new map pack features large maps.

Sig by TuffJuice

Bloody Initiate
Passenger Gunner
Passenger Gunner
Gamertag: Bloody Initiate

Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:32 pm

Black Knight wrote:
To me it seems 343 has moved away from 4vs4 being the traditional Halo experience to 6vs6 hence why their new map pack features large maps.

I think you're right about that. The population of the playlists alone is enough to prove it. The only time I've seen Infinity Slayer exceed BTB in population is when I was on fallback hoppers and they just couldn't support the kind of action BTB offers.

I think most multiplayer games will be including more and more people as the technology improves to allow it. Battlefield 3 is already 12v12 on Xbox 360. With the next generation of Xbox coming out next year, an 8 player game will likely be one of the smallest available offerings.

In this regard I never viewed 4v4 as the "traditional" Halo experience. That's much more the consequence of MLG's popularity and the limited technical capacity of the Xbox and Xbox 360. 4v4 is much more stable - bandwidth-wise - than 8v8 with vehicles and such.
^ Credits to Mics R4 Chumps

imweakusee
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: imweakusee

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:04 pm

For me i dont like remakes. I like having different maps in each game as it gives me a chance to learn a whole new stratagy for each map. Rebuilding older maps just throws the thought of building a new stratagy out the window for me. I like to have specific stratagies for each map that is released. I have one for Longbow and Vortex and a few others. I dont mind playing a remake here and there if its a remake of a good map but i was never really a fan of valhalla to start with. So for me the simple respoonse is no i dont want anymore remakes in halo unless its a good map like guardian or last resort or maybe avalanche.However, I have to say we have had plenty of blood gulch/coagulation/hemmorage remakes. lets give that map a rest and NOT remake it please.

WatchGrassGrow
Apprentice Wheelman
Apprentice Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Grass

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:09 pm

Coagulation or Avalanche.
I always liked Halo 2's version of Blood Gulch more, and now that we better vehicles I think it'd fair a lot better than Hemorrhage.

At the same time though, the range on the DMR still might make it pretty bad.
Either way, Avalanche because ---- you Cruckeyee. That's why.
You just read this incredibly tiny text for no good reason, and have nothing to show for it.

Proud Sponsor Of: M3CH4 N1NJ4, Thee Jazzy