Get in the Hog if you want to live!

acshinobi
Apprentice GP
Apprentice GP
Gamertag: acxshinobi

Re: Invasion: Divine Beyond

Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:35 am

Well I enjoyed your map though think about putting the territories on tier 1 on top of that platforms for both cannons as it was a little difficult to get inside at times. But maybe I'm saying this 'cause we got raped when we on offence :P.

Valkyrion
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Valkyrion

Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:30 pm

acshinobi wrote:
Well I enjoyed your map though think about putting the territories on tier 1 on top of that platforms for both cannons as it was a little difficult to get inside at times. But maybe I'm saying this 'cause we got raped when we on offence :P.

Glad you got a game on it. :D The Tier 1 Territory locations have been already addressed, as mentioned in my last post. The updated map link is there as well.

Luv Gunn
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Luv Gunn

Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:18 am

So, whaddya say we dust off the ole' Xbox this weekend and give them map a whirl?
Oh, you have a ski trip don't you!? Stupid friendships and physical activity!

Well, Valk, (or anyone else who is interested) if you can make it feel free to sign up in *this* thread so I know who to invite!

Valkyrion
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder

Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:35 pm

Luv Gunn pointed out an issue with one of the Tier 1 elite respawn zones; it was set to "Symmetric" so it would not spawn in the "Asymmetric" Invasion gametype. Issue has been fixed.

Fixed map link: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=14550990&player=HWM%20Valkyrion

Valkyrion
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:25 pm

After some rounds of playtesting & counsel from Sarge & Luv Gunn, Divine Beyond is now version 3.7. Adjustments made:
  • Moved core location out of the bottom of the "bowl" of the Control Room & up on a walkway closer to the front doors of the Room.
  • Remodeled rock formations, spawns, & Tyrant gun locations of Tier 1 to free up walking space while still granting cover.
  • Removed 1 Needle Rifle at Tier 1 & added 1 DMR by Middle Team spawn.
  • Deleted Spartan Laser (to my disappointment, but necessary).
  • Shortened Sniper Tower & added a Glass Cover to protect from Banshee bombs. Sniper Tower can now be reached via the back Grav Lift & by crouch jumping up using an adjacent rock pile.
  • Added cover & barricades to protect Tier 2/3 Elite spawns from the Warthog & the Banshee. Used a rock to provide a ramp for the Ghost to get out of the "pigpen".
  • Adjusted Tier 2/3 spawns so that Spartans & Elites no longer have a communal spawn area. I feel confident enough that spawnkilling will no longer be a major issue, so I removed the "backup" spawns. All tier spawns now function akin to Spire & Boneyard.
  • Removed the Fuel Rod Gun from Tier 3.
As always, feedback & ideas are always appreciated.

Valkyrion
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder

Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:21 pm

Map Name: Divine Beyond

Created By: HWM Valkyrion

Map Download Link (version 4.1): http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=15872166&player=HWM%20Valkyrion

Gametype Download Link: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=13925690&player=HWM%20Valkyrion

Divine Beyond has been updated, with much thanks to Luv Gunn's testing nights & all of the testers. The map is in the final stretch; I can feel that it's near complete.

Here's the new screenshots; much is still the same, but much has changed as well. Read up & enjoy! ::wink::

Tier 1: "The Twin Tyrants":
Tier 1 is Territories: Spartans must capture one of the two "Tyrant" AA guns to proceed to the next tier. Elites have to stop them cold— the Great Journey depends upon it!

One of the first views you'll see: the rocky terrain & "Tyrant" AA guns of Tier 1:

Overview of Tier 1, including initial Spartan spawns/respawn zones & Tier 2/3 vehicle spawns. A DMR spawns against the rock next to middle spawn. A health pack spawns near the rocks on directly in front of the vehicle spawns.

A view from the back of Tier 1, showing the 3 elite spawn areas. Purple Tyrant is the one on the right in this picture (on top of “Pride Rock”), & Blue Tyrant is to the left next to the sea. 1 Needle rifle spawns on a rock nearby Seaside Spawn, & 1 spawns at the mouth of a cave in front of middle team's spawn.

NOTE: There are teleporters to the Tier 2/3 area on top of each Tyrant gun base. They open up at the start of Tier 2. Use them for rapid transit from Tier 1 to Tier 2.

==========

Tier 2/3: "Assault on the Control Room":
Tier 2: It’s rather self-explanatory: Assault. Spartans must plant the bomb (or an airstrike beacon, as I like to think of it) in front of one of the front doors of the Control Room to infiltrate the Room.
Tier 3: The final step: Spartans must steal the Activation Index, escape the Control Room, & take the Index to a nearby Pelican dropship.

Overview shot:

"This must be the Control Room... Subtle.": The front platforms lead to the front doors— where, of course, the Spartan delivery team is gonna come a-knockin’. The gorge-side platform has a few large ramps to go up, while the seaside is relatively ground level.

Pelican spawns in Tier 3 in preparation for the Spartans’ (hopefully) imminent victory!

----------

Overview of Spartan Spawns:

The spawns, left to right, are Gorgeside, Sniper Tower, & Seaside. The receiver node from Purple Tyrant’s teleporter is behind Gorgeside spawn, & the receiver from Blue Tyrant’s teleporter is right next to Seaside spawn. Rockets & a health pack spawn at Gorgeside and a Sniper Rifle spawns on top of Sniper Tower (naturally).

----------

Overview shot of the Elite Spawns (and a daunting view of the top of the control room):

Elite Seaside Spawn: Right next to a huge rock (a monument to all of your sins). Roadblocks block the Warthog from spawn killing elites, & the rock in the center acts as a ramp for the Ghost.

Elite Middle Spawn & Elite Gorgeside Spawn: Middle spawn on the left, Gorgeside on the right. Plasma Launcher spawns on the rock in front of Middle spawn, & Focus Rifle spawns on the landing platform in front of Gorgeside spawn.

Elite vehicle depot: accessible during Tier 3. Houses the Ghost & the Banshee. Neither of which are good for the Spartans.

----------

Welcome to the Control Room. We hope you enjoy your stay while the Halo Ring destroys all sentient life in the galaxy.

That is, if the Covenant have their way. The Kill Ball represents the charging Halo Ring. The Core/Index spawns on the raised platform on the side closest to the Spartan spawns. Got the Index? Good. Now GTFO to the capture point.

==========

Loadouts match basic Invasion.

Weapons/Vehicles on map per Tier:

Tier 1:
Spartans:
1 DMR

Elites:
2 Needle Rifles

Tier 2:
Spartans:
1 Warthog
1 Rocket Launcher
1 Sniper Rifle

Elites:
1 Focus Rifle
1 Plasma Launcher

Tier 3:
Spartans:
1 Falcon

Elites:
1 Ghost
1 Banshee

The gametype works as follows:
Spartans Offense, Elites Defense

Phase 1: Territories; 4 minutes, 20 second capture time, 7 second reset
Phase 2: Assault; 4 minutes, 20 seconds (10 second arm time & 10 second timer(why can't it work like Breakpoint's 5 & 15? :( )
Phase 3: CTF; 4 minutes

Core carrier Traits: All unchanged except for 90% speed.

All other settings are straight from the basic Invasion gametype.

Base Map: Forgeworld
Intended Number of Players: 12
Standard Gametypes Supported: None
Requires Gametype to play properly: Yes
Includes Artistic Elements: Yes
Symmetrical Design, weapons, and spawns: No
Includes Static Spawns for Team Games: Yes, includes static Invasion respawn zones.

==========

Final notes:

I am in the final phases of creating this map. Right now, what I need most is feedback from playtesters that have played the map multiple times and thus have more experience with the map. Consistent teams of testers would be best for this. During playtesting sessions, I aim to run multiple games on this map each session to ensure semi-constant teams & more rapid feedback.

Some specific things I'd like testers to try to test for are a) a solid play area, as in soft-kill zones in appropriate places, no instantaneous death from a poorly placed hard-kill zone, etc., b) spawn killing (most particularly in Tiers 2/3 on both teams), c) success rates per each Tier, & d) how bad the framerate is with any suggestions on what can be removed/replaced/etc.

Thanks for taking the time to read. If you decided to download, I wish you best of luck & best of times on this map!

Links if you missed them:

Map Download Link (version 4.1): http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=15872166&player=HWM%20Valkyrion

Gametype Download Link: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=13925690&player=HWM%20Valkyrion

Valkyrion
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder

Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:27 pm

After a couple of playtests today, I realize I need to make some major design changes on this map. To those that played: Thank you very much for your time, & please post your feedback here for my records. One thing I ask you to add, however, is your suggestion(s) on how to remedy a certain problem. I am by no means a master forger, so advice would be incredibly helpful along with the criticism.

Known issues:
  1. Grenade spam in the territories for Tiers 1 & 2.
  2. Various rock formations in Tier 1 offer too much of a defensive advantage to the Elites
  3. Overcomplexity of the Control Room
  4. "Killing Field" between the Control Room & Spartan Spawns

Possible solutions:
  1. Add a solid object to the center of the territories for Tier 1 & expand the area of the territories. This allows "merry-go-round" movement & defense from grenade spam. Tier 2: Change to Territories gametype to discourage camping a targeted territory.
  2. Soft Kill zone(s) on top of rocks with too high an elevation; move Spartan spawns up further from the back & adjust rock formations & base locations accordingly.
  3. Lower/remove the Large Walkways around the Control Room to ensure more level playing field. Lower platforms all around the control room to closer to ground level. Try to establish more movement options around the control room.
  4. Adjust cover to remove openness while simultaneously trying to leave driving space for the Warthog.

Some of these solutions need work & suggestions, particularly problems 2, 3, & 4. I really need help in trying to devise solutions for these, so suggestions are welcome.

RJ
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM RJ

Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:07 pm

I think the control room needs to be smaller. Its only purpose is to house the core for tier 3. Because of its large size, tier 2 is difficult to defend because the elites cannot move through it, and are forced to move around it to the territory on the other side.

To rememedy this, I suggest 2 options. A) significantly reduce the size of the control rooms, so that it is easy to move around. Make almost an outer structure that is easily penetrable, with an inner enclosure that must be breached. or B) make one very large structure that encompasses the elite's spawns (similar to Boneyard).
1/3 of the HWM U-Haul Trifecta

[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:09 pm

A structure similar to the breakpoint retrieval could work. One spawn sits above it, the vehicle bay spawn has a door near it, and one spawn has to travel back, but can fight quickly.
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

Houdini
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HouAmI

Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:10 pm

Can I just say, that map looks really cool Valk. Very nice design there.
MIA 2010 Spartans Never Die
BerserkerBarage
Ice Devil 13

Valkyrion
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder

Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:24 pm

I worked on the map some more, & I've made a number of major changes: The Control Room has been compressed, & the Large Walkways stemming around it have been removed in order to facilitate movement. Rock formations have been varied in the Tier 2/3 area. Tier 1 territories have been "filled in" in the center & expanded in radius to reduce the effectiveness of grenade spam, & a soft kill zone has been placed on top of the "cave" in Tier 1.

As for the gametype, I've made a version 1.2 that has swapped Assault with Territories. I don't know if I'll be keeping Territories or not, so it may be wise to keep version 1.1 stashed away (just make sure you use the right version in playtesting!).

Updated Map v4.3
Updated Gametype v1.2