SG NAMLOCO
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: SG NAMLOCO

Re: Lone Wolves Tips and Advice

Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:46 pm

Bloody Initiate wrote:
I'm now a 42.

Me too. I've been hopping on a bit here and there since this thread inspired me. I only get on when I really feel up for Lone Wolves, and I tend to quit playing when I've had a good streak (Or when I have class in 5 minutes)

I gotta say, I actually like Anvil. It screws half of the people at once with open spawns and no weapons nearby, but if you know these spots when you spawn at them you know to get the hell out of there an start cherry-picking.

WHoow, whats Anvil??? Hahaha

But, yeah, I've been trying to make it a habit to play a game of Lone wolves every night.
I still have to stand by the thought that every play list whether you love it or not teaches and adds to your overall Halo skill in the end. I try to force myself to play lists I dread in hopes of improving my game.

Thanks everyone for their input and advice!
ImageImageImage

Modern Apostle
Heroic Ground Pounder
Heroic Ground Pounder

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:33 am

Okay, well here's the deal.

I'm finally up to rank 35 in lone wolves and have this shiny new commander ranking.

But there are a few things that still make me squirm in matchmaking: crazy king, and oddball.

I've tried a lot of common strategies in the past, and those worked, but now I'm finding that upper-level players don't allow them to happen. Any suggestions on how to objective play?
-~Modern Apostle~-

Groundpounder, Engineer, Programmer... I don't concern myself with the warnings... only the errors.

BUfels
Gamertag: BUfels

Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:01 am

Modern Apostle wrote:
Okay, well here's the deal.

I'm finally up to rank 35 in lone wolves and have this shiny new commander ranking.

But there are a few things that still make me squirm in matchmaking: crazy king, and oddball.

I've tried a lot of common strategies in the past, and those worked, but now I'm finding that upper-level players don't allow them to happen. Any suggestions on how to objective play?

KOTH at level 41 works when I just hide, lol. Isolation KOTH is perfect for that. Stay on top and crouch out of sight inside hill. Epitaph, hide behind the pillars. Of course, if this isn't working in a game, scrap it. Staying alive in the hill is the most important thing. Jump over heads, crouch at right times, throw down a bubble, it all works.
Oddball, I've always been crap at. Only advise is to use bubbles and regens and play ball when you have to.
Play ball: Dropping ball of map when about to die so the enemy does not get it.

From the cradle to the grave, it has been a walk of shame.

Jaime Lannister and La Dispute fanboy.

Jonesy
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: l Jonesy I

Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:41 am

For KOTH:
Hide. This is the best option, dont start fights, try and run away the whole time. Most importantly, try to stay alive. If you find yourself low on health, try ducking out the hill to get shields back, then get back in it. This is better than dieing and spawning on the other side of the map. Learn the order in which the hills appear. In LW i think the hill moves every 30 seconds? (not sure) and it moves in a specific way, learn it.
Camo is your friend, just grab it and sit in a corner. Bubble shields = good, so are regens.
Just remember, charging in and getting 2 seconds of time then dieing and being on respawn for 5 seconds isn't good. Play intelligently, try and just hide in corners and stuff.

For Oddball:
Run, do NOT camp. If you camp, everyone goes straight to you. If you keep moving, it's harder to get to you. Run and be sneaky, wait for corners then beat now, then keep running.
Try not to kill the people without the ball, they will help you kill the ball carrier, then kill them when the ball guy is dead... unless they're trying to kill you, then by all means. Shoot them back.

Or... just could just veto ::lol::
Don't take life too seriously, or you'll never get out alive

SG NAMLOCO
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder

Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:30 pm

I need to rank up higher then a 23, this is not fair for the lower ranks:

what's a sword do again? :shrug:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHa ... %20NAMLOCO
ImageImageImage

HWM Jedi
Wheelman
Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Jedi

Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:57 am

I started playing Lone Wolves again for a couple of reasons. I wanted to start getting better at Halo when I didn't have time for training (training that usually doesn't work for me anyway), I wanted to get my 35 in at least 4 different playlists (I now have Team Slayer and Lone Wolves...working on Team Doubles and Snipers), and I wanted something to do when I was the only person online at the time.

My strategy was rather simple: get a BR and a short range weapon. Find the spot with the best vantage point and preferably some readily available cover. Listen and watch for fights. Always be ready to shoot barrels and other explosives when people are near them. Always have a few grenades in my back pocket (and not waste them on long range throws that will probably only feed other people kills). Focus my energy, play like the strongest player in a fight is on my team, effectively team shooting the weak guy (hopefully getting in the final shot), and then killing the strong guy, who will hopefully be one or two shot by then. Alternatively, shooting the guy who is the biggest threat to me (like if he has rockets or snipe at long range) so that he will be even weaker when his fight is over with the other guy and I have a chance to kill him. Try to avoid being the first to open a fight up. That is just asking to have your kill stollen and getting killed yourself. Watch for fights already going on, especially ones involving explosions. If explosives have gone off, then somebody is probably very weak, and an easy quick kill.

As for KofH, don't aimlessly rush the hill. You will get shotgunned, rocketed, sniped, sworded, stuck. You need to go prepared to hold the hill, or at least prepared to clear it out, otherwise don't go at all. I got my Steppin' Razor achievment on the Pit by simply going for the sword and waiting near the hill until I heard hill contested. Then I hopped in, killed the two people there, killed the next guy coming, and then almost got my overkill, but the last guy was about half a second late (this was when Lone Wolves was only 5 people total). Same with Oddball. Don't go after the ball guy if he is camping a tight corner and all you have is an AR. Wait for somebody else to kill him, or at least make him weak, and then nade him out if you have them. If you do get the ball, don't take it where it is easily defended unless you are entirely confident that you are the best, luckiest player in the game. Take it where it will be a fight to hold it, and take some means of staying alive (like a Bubble Shield or Regen) with you to get you some extra time. Stickies help to, just drop the ball for a second, throw a sticky at the guy heading straight towards you, and pick it back up. Try to string your opponents out so that they kill each other on their way to you. Most people have no clue how to play Oddball, and they think it is a chance to boost their K/D. Use that to your advantage and use your opponents against each other. I do not reccomend jumping the ball off the map, because that is such a common (and cheap) tactic that there will be people who just wait at the ball respawn, keeping you from getting it back. I once saw a person get an overkill by nading the ball spawn when it was jumped off the map. He didn't even go for the ball, just threw nades every time it was jumped off. He walked away from the game with four triples and an overkill.

ConsumedFever wrote:
LIES!!!!!!

SG NAMLOCO
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder

Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:24 pm

Update...I'm a noobie 25 now ::flex:: ::lol::

slowly but surly

Nam
ImageImageImage

Spectre o UK
Wheelman
Wheelman
Gamertag: Spectre o UK

Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:11 pm

In terms of lone wolves, i try to secure a power weapon (personally, my choice is the sniper rifle) and back that power weapon up with a battle rifle, so that if i only take out their shield with a shot from the power weapon, i can simply mop the kill up with the BR.

If it's a normal FFA slayer (AR starts), i would always try and grab a BR first though, really helps for early kills and power weapon accquisition. When timed with a well thrown grenade, you can get really easy doubles and triples with the BR.

For king of the hill, as soon as i see the hill is taken, i saturate the area with grenades to no-shield people in the hill, pretty basic but it works from time to time, KOTH really isn't my strong point

For oddball, run like hell, when you're just about to die, if you are on a map like guardian, toss the oddball off the map so it takes longer for people to start earning points again (you should be respawned by now too), if you have a bubble shield (or regen), use it for a few kills if it is safe to do so, then run away using it as cover, i generally deploy them in corridors with about 2-3 exits so i can have an escape route

SG NAMLOCO
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder

Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:16 pm

This reminds me I need to play this list again, I took a 2 week break from playing it at all ::roll::

Nam
ImageImageImage

Spectre o UK
Wheelman
Wheelman
Gamertag: Spectre o UK

Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:45 am

lol, my break was at least 3 months, just got my 30 in lone wolves :)

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:13 am

Good stuff here. Please move to tactical as well.
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

HipHopHippo
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: Go Gibran

Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:10 am

Well, I'm a 49 in Lone Wolves, and all I can recommend is whore the power weapons, know when to push up to a choke point, or chill back and camp somewhere with traffic. Knowing spawn points is vital, and how your map positioning can affect enemy spawns. Situational awareness is also key, for example should you turn that corner with your AR out or your BR? Picking on the weak players by challenging them a lot more and trying to stay out of the stronger players field of vision is another successful tactic.

I would give Map specific strategies but I cannot be bothered. Just go here to check out ShadowzKiller's tips on LW at 50 high. The guy is a monster and has over 1000XP on his LW50.
Signature's too mainstream