Get in the Hog if you want to live!

Thee MC
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM MC

Re: Budget PC For Sarge's Civ Addiction

Mon May 30, 2016 10:56 pm

Even if there was an instance Sarge needed a DVD drive.... $22 and no opening up the computer later, problem solved.

Swift Strider
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Swift
Tumblr: throwinsixes

Mon May 30, 2016 11:57 pm

The amount of technical gibberish you guys are spewing is hurting my brain. I was actually offering to buy to the whole thing (because that way the budget wouldn't be tight and you could spend the few extra hundred dollars) but I can just by the OS if you want.

Black Knight
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM BlacKnight

Tue May 31, 2016 4:08 am

I'll be happy putting $50 forward if it helps to future proof this a little :)

Sig by TuffJuice

Paragon
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: HWM Paragon

Tue May 31, 2016 6:18 am

Swift Strider wrote:
The amount of technical gibberish you guys are spewing is hurting my brain. I was actually offering to buy to the whole thing (because that way the budget wouldn't be tight and you could spend the few extra hundred dollars) but I can just by the OS if you want.

Unfortunately, Budget PC building is basically a massive gray area, there are so many posible options and combinations that a lot of gibberish usually needs to be spewed before a decision can be made. Sorry if we hurt you. :(

Black Knight wrote:
I'll be happy putting $50 forward if it helps to future proof this a little :)

We could probably use this to get a bigger hard drive or maybe 16GB of ram, unless you just want to help sarge curb the price, which would also help a bit

Mzoga
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: HWM Mzoga

Tue May 31, 2016 8:16 am

Jon LH Hart wrote:
We also need M/KB and that build doesn't have a disc drive which isn't absolutely a necessity, but is Swift buying the normal version of Windows 10 on the USB or an OEM disc for cheaper? The OEM disc is $35 cheaper, but we'll need a disc drive to install it. I could pull one of mine out of my pc just to install the OS I suppose. But if Sarge wants a disc drive it's like $20.

You can't just buy the OEM disc for the key, and download the windows 10 installer onto a USB stick? (I don't know if getting w7 and doing the upgrade the same way is cheaper, but I guess we're running into time constraints with that plan)

Thee MC
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder

Tue May 31, 2016 8:30 am

You can either buy and download the OS and put it on a USB stick yourself, or you can buy the OS already on a USB stick.

EDIT
Mzoga wrote:
Jon LH Hart wrote:
We also need M/KB and that build doesn't have a disc drive which isn't absolutely a necessity, but is Swift buying the normal version of Windows 10 on the USB or an OEM disc for cheaper? The OEM disc is $35 cheaper, but we'll need a disc drive to install it. I could pull one of mine out of my pc just to install the OS I suppose. But if Sarge wants a disc drive it's like $20.

You can't just buy the OEM disc for the key, and download the windows 10 installer onto a USB stick? (I don't know if getting w7 and doing the upgrade the same way is cheaper, but I guess we're running into time constraints with that plan)

I see now, missed the part where the disc was $35 cheaper. Shit, definitely just scrub the CPU cooler, throw a drive in there and use that. I'm not sure how easy it is to clone the OEM iso onto a USB. I know it's easy to create the media once the OS is installed... but not sure if it is an option if you put the CD into a system that already has the OS installed.

Mzoga
Role Unknown
Role Unknown

Tue May 31, 2016 8:46 am

Thee MC wrote:
You can either buy and download the OS and put it on a USB stick yourself, or you can buy the OS already on a USB stick.

EDIT
Mzoga wrote:
Jon LH Hart wrote:

I see now, missed the part where the disc was $35 cheaper. Shit, definitely just scrub the CPU cooler, throw a drive in there and use that. I'm not sure how easy it is to clone the OEM iso onto a USB. I know it's easy to create the media once the OS is installed... but not sure if it is an option if you put the CD into a system that already has the OS installed.

I meant like using the media creation tool here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

If you purchase a Win7 or newer key -- that's how I've done 6/7 of my installs at home (I have a lot of machines) -- unless you mean you can't run the media create tool on something non-win10.

Thee MC
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder

Tue May 31, 2016 9:03 am

Mzoga wrote:
I meant like using the media creation tool here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

If you purchase a Win7 or newer key -- that's how I've done 6/7 of my installs at home (I have a lot of machines) -- unless you mean you can't run the media create tool on something non-win10.

I think this would work fine, save the money and order the disc!

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:58 am

Hearts of Iron IV is a turn-based strategy game coming out this week. If it's any indication of the projected specs we're dealing with, looks like we're fine: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cy ... n-iv/12834

Looks like we also beat Stellaris: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cy ... aris/12835
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

Mzoga
Role Unknown
Role Unknown

Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:51 pm

Here's some cheap keys, dunno how long they are on sale:

http://www.direct2play.com/154-operating-system-os

Panda
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM Trash Panda

Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:18 pm

Swift Strider wrote:
You can buy me a new computer if you want Swift.

Swift Strider
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder

Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:53 pm

Ha. Hahahah. Ahahahahahahah. You're so funny Panda xD

Swift Strider
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder

Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:44 pm

Build your PC with Terry Crews!

LexiWatson
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: Cupcake Vista

Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:09 am

Personally if you are going to build your own PC you should go all out, there is no point is doing a budget PC build when you can go out and spend an extra $50 to get a better PC from BestBuy.

Personally I think when you build your first PC you should build a monster because you will appreciate it more.

My Build: $2,250 (this is about a year and a half to 2 years ago I think, prices most likely have gone down for these parts)

Mohterboard: Asus Z-97 mark II
CPU - Intel Core i7 4770K (overclocked)
SSD - Intel 280 GB
HDD - 3TB
GPU - Geforce 980GTX (overclocked)
RAM - 16GB
Power Supply - SeaSonic 1200w
Liquid Cooler - Corsair H100igtx
Case - Define R4
6 Red LED fans
Asus Blu-ray/DVD/CD read and write
Cherry MX Keyboard
RAT 7 Gaming Mouse
Q series mouse mat
Windows 10 64bit (cause xbox play anywhere and it comes with mircosoft office)
1 Monitor at home and when I'm in my dorm I have a duel Monitor.
I have some weird little monitor thing that shows the Temp of my CPU

But yeah Sarge you should go crazy and plan your build around the future and not just the 'here and now' mentality. Custom PC builds are expensive and there is no point in doing a low budget build cause you'll just have to update the parts later.

I feel like I'm missing something on the list but I'm sure someone will point out if I missed something.

Hopes this helps Sarge!
~ Killed by Silence ~

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:01 am

It does. It's just not financially feasible right now.
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame