Get in the Hog if you want to live!

Jackie
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Title: Developer
Gamertag: HWM Jackie

Monitor vs. TV: A Comparison

Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:18 pm

Everyone is probably aware that all pro players use a monitor. There is good reason behind this that I will explain to the best of my own understanding.

There are two types of measurements that matter directly in terms of reaction time. Response time and display/input lag.

Response time is the amount of time it takes a pixel on the screen to change from one color to another. This is usually represented by GtG (Grey to Grey). A high value here results in ghosting when the objects on the screen are moving quickly. The pixels do not change fast enough and you see a trail of the still changing pixels behind the moving object. Many monitors have around 5ms down to 1ms response time, 1ms being the best. TVs can have much higher response times due to the extra processing they do. You can expect to potentially see 15ms or greater response times for older TVs.

The other measurement, display lag, is the time it takes the source material signal to appear on the screen. This is the time it takes after a button press for the action to appear on screen or for the position of the enemy to update. This is a huge factor in being able to respond quickly to what is happening in the game. A good gaming monitor will be around 10ms or maybe even a little less. The best TVs can only get down to around 17ms with the vast majority of TVs being closer to 50ms or more. This is basically doubling the lag that many people already get from their internet. This is due to the extra processing that TVs do to improve image quality. Unfortunately this is obviously bad for serious gaming.

Overall display/input lag times for many TVs and monitors have been tested and listed here. http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

A factor that some may be interested in if considering switching is the panel type within the monitor. TN panels are the most common and have the best response times generally. Another type that is becoming more common are IPS panels. These panels provide brighter screens and better viewing angles. TN panels can normally viewed within 160 degrees vertically and horizontally. IPS panels can be viewed at 178 degrees. This viewing angle is how far you can move to the side or up/down before the colors of the pixels start to shift because you are looking at them outside their optimal angle. This is personal preference, but I prefer IPS panels because of how close I sit.

For anyone interested, I got an Acer R240HY for $130 on Amazon. This is an IPS panel so the response time isn't perfect at 4ms, However, the overall display/input lag is around 9.6ms which is fantastic. The viewing angles are fantastic and the screen is very nice. Https://smile.amazon.com/Acer-R240HY-bi ... cer+R240HY

If you want to plug your xbox into a monitor and a tv at the same time for easy switching in between I have this hdmi splitter and it works well.
Https://smile.amazon.com/HD-102-Powered ... i+splitter

Feel free to post any questions and I will do my best to answer them based on what I know.

CINCO
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: HWM Cinco

Re: Monitor vs. TV: A Comparison

Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:34 pm

I recently bought a benq, 27in 1ms response time and 75mhz refresh rate.

I'm still shitty
[redacted]

Muffin
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Muffin

Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:37 pm

CINCO wrote:
I recently bought a benq, 27in 1ms response time and 75mhz refresh rate.

I'm still shitty

You're noticibly better home girl

Gameplay comparison:
http://www.twitch.tv/austinarizona/v/81932741
http://www.twitch.tv/austinarizona/v/82295234

Dragon
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM Dragon

Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:31 pm

Which one is on the tv and which is on a monitor?

"You know what they say, once you go dragon, the rest is just laggin'."- T.J. Klune

Navi
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Navi

Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:53 pm

to answer you question Dragon the second one
"We win together we ride together Wheelmen for life"

"I always dreamed of driving but sooner or later you always have to wake up"

Waldebie
Contest Loser
Contest Loser
Gamertag: HWM Waldebie

Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:08 pm

I got a 50" for whatever gaming/neflixing - and the small one for FPS shooters.

My small TV and sound system -
Spoiler: show
------The La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo?!------

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:38 pm

That's the dedication I like to see out of Wheelmen, Waldebie. ::thumbs::
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

Jackie
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder

Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:49 pm

Found a source on the input lag for my projector, the BenQ W1070. Only about 20ms which is 10ms more than my monitor, but still about as good as the best TVs.

Thee MC
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM MC

Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:52 am

Good write up Jon. Especially important that people shop for input lag over response time. Lower response time is going to decrease blurriness, lower input lag is going to decrease button to viewable action time. This is a huge distinction, and most TV/monitor manufacturers do not publish this information on their specifications. You have to do the research.

One other point to mention, make sure you read reviews (published and user) about a monitor/TV before buying. Some TVs might have virtually no input lag, but only under certain circumstances (e.g., lower resolution, lower refresh rate). Make sure the screen you are buying can put out low input lag/response time at its best settings.

Dragon
Heroic GP
Heroic GP

Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:29 am

How would an average 10 ms input lag from black to white rate on the scale?

"You know what they say, once you go dragon, the rest is just laggin'."- T.J. Klune

CINCO
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: HWM Cinco

Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:38 am

I just bought the best 27in one on the list muffin sent me. I trust the research others have done
[redacted]

Jackie
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder

Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:59 pm

Dragon wrote:
How would an average 10 ms input lag from black to white rate on the scale?

Input lag or response time? Response time deals with how fast the pixels can change colors. Input lag is the amount of time between what your xbox is outputting and what the screen is displaying. A 10 ms response time is pretty poor, a 10 ms input lag is about the best you can do.

Dragon
Heroic GP
Heroic GP

Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:56 pm

The monitor said it has like 1ms response time and an average 10ms input lag with various times for top/mid/bottom

Jackie
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder

Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:58 pm

Then yeah, that's a good monitor. Link?

Dragon
Heroic GP
Heroic GP

Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:05 pm

It's the BenQ RL2455HM. http://www.displaylag.com/benq-rl2455hm ... or-review/

Unless you guys have a better one for about the same price. Otherwise I will be ordrink this one sometime in the next few days.