Get in the Hog if you want to live!

Muffin
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Muffin

Real Life Objective Holding

Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:45 am

The sportsmanship ethics we fight for recently made national headlines in the basketball world.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/186 ... chool-game

The story goes that LaMelo Ball, brother of Lonzo Ball, scored 92 in a highschool game. Obviously, this is an incredible stat line for any level of competition... Until you take a closer look at the article, and read that Ball's team was intentionally fouling while up 20 something points (thus stopping the clock, allowing the opposing team to shoot free throws and then getting the ball back in LaMelo's hands).

Thought it was interesting to see this get national headlines, because it's sure to cause a debate among sports pundits and make some national tv shows. Hopefully society agrees with our stance on the issue.

Twisted
'11 HogOff Winner - Gunner
'11 HogOff Winner - Gunner
Gamertag: HWM Twisted GT

Re: Real Life Objective Holding

Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:02 am

Sadly, judging by the fact that all reporting on the issue has come in the form of articles with headlines like this one, rather than articles that actually want to encourage discussion on the issue, I don't think so. The headline should be "high school team intentionally extends game to pad a pro players younger brothers ego"
If you think we're a rolling double kill.. come get it.

VooDoo
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: HWM VooDoo

Re: Real Life Objective Holding

Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:22 am

Twisted wrote:
Sadly, judging by the fact that all reporting on the issue has come in the form of articles with headlines like this one, rather than articles that actually want to encourage discussion on the issue, I don't think so. The headline should be "high school team intentionally extends game to pad a pro players younger brothers ego"

Right? It seemed like from all the articles I read about it, the issues with how he scored 92 points were a footnote, that no one cared about. All they cared about was that he did it. I watched some of the video of the game too. He was hanging out at half court and cherry picked as well. Which in my eyes made it even worse, he didn't help with the defense and just hung out where his team could throw him the long ball and he would have an easy shot because he was already 75% of the way down the court. Its really is disappointing to see stuff like this.
My wife used to coach highschool basketball in Cleveland and I asked her what she thought of it, and she basically said that she would have pulled her team off the floor and refused to finish the game.