Get in the Hog if you want to live!

CrimsonDroid
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: xCrimsonDroidx

Xbox One Streaming using Beam

Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:23 pm

So I am not sure how many of you are on the Xbox One previews group but in the newest update, we have a native streaming service called Beam. I had never heard of this till now but gave it a little try today and it seemed pretty good. I don't really have a setup that supports the best streaming quality and all that but once in a while I try anyway for fun. I really liked the UI both on the website as well as the app and was wondering if anyone else has used this service? If so, do you have any tips or tricks that I should try next time I stream using it?

Sig inspired by Mauro Fire

Monster
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Title: Admin
Gamertag: HWM Monster

Re: Xbox One Streaming using Beam

Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:31 pm

I like beam all around and I know we have a bunch of guys on there. Its a quality place.

As a non streamer I have no advice but Swift may have some or Jon

Swift Strider
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Swift
Tumblr: throwinsixes

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:22 pm

I prefer Beam SO much more than twitch in so many ways. To be honest the only thing that Twitch has that I wish beam had is the clipping feature. There are a few other features like auto hosting but almost all these have been rolled out by twitch fairly recently and Beam basically does them all almost already, if there is a feature you need there is probably an app that you can integrate to work with Beam.

I prefer to stream because not only do I find the UI much easier, clearier to use, but if you are streaming from a PC it allows for you to edit almost all your information without having to leave you stream page or open a new tab. Everything from Account settings, to followers and friends, stream settings etc.

Now with it on Xbox again not only is it easier to use because it's built in there isn't another app you have to snap, but again it's much clearer and easier to set up. All the settings are in that one tab and then bam. You also now get a Chat Box that you can set to show up on your stream so you don't need to have your stream chat open somewhere from another source if you don't want.

Probably one of the best things though is the delay time. When I stream using the FTL the delay is less than a second, someones a second or two depending on my connection and who is viewing. On Xbox when it starts it was about a minute behind but after a refresh that went down too 20 seconds, and then soon enough it was back down to maybe a 2 second delay when Cruckeye and DuckE were watching me.

One of the main features though that I haven't actually set up or tried, that beam pushes is viewer interaction. Anytime you view a channel or stream you get "Sparks" which you can use to interact with streamers. When viewing through a webpage you can set up buttons/commands that do specific things such as play soundbits/soundboards or make graphics appear on screen or even follow commands in game (a bit like the TwitchPlays scenarios) which people use sparks to activate. Polls are also super easy to integrate into the chat a long with a bunch of other functions avaliable through apps.

To top it all of you can have a stream team straight from the bat. Where as with Twitch you need to get partnered (which in itself is a job) and then apply for a Stream Team, with Beam you can join and create teams from the get go. We already have a Halo Wheelmen team which a few of us are a part of.

Honestly beam is awesome. Now that it's integrated and the fact that it's backed by Microsoft I see the service skyrocketing. Even during the start up a lot of popular twitch streamers switched because they preferred the service, so now I think it's only a matter of time before you see more people switching.

Navi
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Navi

Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:38 am

Swift you beamed to the future lol
"We win together we ride together Wheelmen for life"

"I always dreamed of driving but sooner or later you always have to wake up"

CrimsonDroid
Role Unknown
Role Unknown

Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:06 am

I've honestly never much into stream, though I love watching others stream Halo because I've learned so much about the game that way. But in all honesty, I've been thinking about doing it more and more. My biggest setback is going to be my internet since I use wifi where my stuff is set up and coupled with all the other internet accessable stuff in my house, I think the stream quality would suffer. I have streamed a little on twitch when I was heavily into Destiny and enjoyed it, just had a hard time paying attention to chat since I had to have the laptop open. I just noticed beam was available yesterday though and thought I would give it a try. Everything Strider said is spot on with what I immediately liked about beam though. I loved that the chat window was right on the screen but no obtrusive in any way at all. I did notice that I was having quality issues so I switched to twitch to see if it was the same and it didn't appear to be. I think after I move this summer I may take a more serious look at streaming and get a setup that will support it better.

Mzoga
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: HWM Mzoga

Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:32 am

I've been informed that I should wear pants next time I stream, who knew.

CrimsonDroid
Role Unknown
Role Unknown

Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:08 am

Mzoga wrote:
I've been informed that I should wear pants next time I stream, who knew.

We're you told "should" or "must"? Those are two very different things lmfao.
I've never used a cam while I've streamed, the only one I have is the Kinect and I currently don't have that hooked up although I need to hook it back up. My wife recently got me a Asus gaming monitor for my birthday so instead of playing games in my mancave, I've set everything up in my living room on my computer desk. I can only imagine would would be seen in the background if I had a cam going. My two boys would probably have everyone cracking up haha. Hell, I think I'll hook it up tonight just to see.