Get in the Hog if you want to live!

allyjoy83
Role Unknown
Role Unknown
Gamertag: allyjoy83

I Don't Normally "Do" Recipes, but ...

Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:15 am

H3WM il Duce wrote:
If you wanted to do separate threads with the recipes, I would certainly not object.

While looking at food is a great way to pass the time, pretty ain't always tasty, and tasty isn't necessarily photogenic. So, this is a place to put down your best culinary throwdowns so we can try to replicate your tastiest dishes (or things you just enjoy eating).

For the youngsters/dorm dwellers/kitchen limited, there's a great thread to share "cooking" hacks: Dorm Survival

For the adults/kitchen capable/food warriors, this is your space. I'm, personally, not really good at following/giving directions on how to cook things (unless it's baking) because I don't usually do well with the teaspoon of this, cup of that. I just kind of cook it, but I made Black Eyed Peas for the first time for the new year, and they turned out surprisingly well. Below is the kinda recipe:

Feeds: 8-10

Ingredients:
- 1lb bag of black eyed peas
- 6 slices of thick cut bacon (or more if you want - chopped)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1 bell pepper (diced)
- 2-3 stalks of celery (diced)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2-3 bay leaves
- salt & pepper
- 4 cups Pork stock (ham bouillon cube & water - or you could substitute with chicken stock)
- chipotle pepper flakes (optional - but if you're not going to, use smoked paprika)

Directions:
1. Rinse beans
2. In a pot on high heat, cook bacon until crispy and lovely. Remove bacon from pot and set aside.
3. In bacon fat, add the onion, bell pepper & celery, and sautee until soft (salt here), then add garlic and chipotle flakes (salt some more)
4. When you smell a smoky garlic add a small amount of the stock and scrape bottom of the pot with a spoon until all of the bits are no longer stuck to the bottom of the pot (deglaze).
5. Add beans, bay leaves, and the rest of the stock, and simmer covered until beans are cooked through.* If you prefer a thicker consistency, cook a little while longer until the liquid has reduced.
6. Once cooked, remove bay leaves, and stir in the bacon you put aside.
7. Enjoy.

*I used a pressure cooker so my beans were done in like 20-30 minutes. Some may prefer using a crock pot/slow cooker. If you do use the slow cooker, do steps 2-4 in a large pan, and then transfer everything to the slow cooker, but if you want a thicker consistency for the beans, you may want to use less stock.

The end.