Get in the Hog if you want to live!

Laughlyn
Passenger Wheelman
Passenger Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Laughlyn

Re: Learning to Cook

Tue May 09, 2017 8:07 pm

let me second Gunn about 1 pan meals. by far the best way to get started cooking IMHO. Kerri made a booklet of some of my mom and grandma's simple meals for my lil brother a few xmas' back and many of them were 1 pan meals. Phenomenal way to get more comfortable as you only have to keep an eye on a single damn thing, which is a godsend as you get acquainted with your kitchen more.

Also a word on salt from my old gunner Fingerling (who is a bodybuilder now) "pay very close attention to the salt content of things you buy. it is the single largest change you can make to your diet in the easiest way. instead of canned, buy frozen. better yet buy fresh! but if you have to buy canned stuff (try to find a low sodium version if availible) and then rinse the item very well under the tap before you cook it to remove as much salt as possible." He is also very pro lean proteins. eggs or egg whites are at the top for him as well as chicken. also remember that if you buy meat there is usually extra fat that can be trimmed off quite easily with a good knife. red beans are also a cheap item that doesnt have to taste cheap, and if you can cook around a lack of salt then #youarewinnar.

Also i heard the term "cauliflower rice" today.... im not sure what it is yet, but it sounds worth exploring.

Also Also, i had never considered doing a 50/50 of mashed cauliflower/ potatoes... so thanks for that tip Gunn!

EDIT~~~ Also very important for getting started in your kitchen. if there is a gadget that you want (or even basic kitchen gear really) check out a Ross, Marshalls or TJ Maxx... usually i find really cool stuff for nearly half off retail there. even like a basic knife set or a stocked spire rack
brickfungus wrote:
we recruit based on personality and not talent (look at laughy)