Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Re: Sarge-Friendly Media Thread

Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:45 am

Discovered this song today. Apparently Studio Killers also only perform as their animated characters when possible and wear masks when they can't.

Spoiler: show
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

Jackie
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Title: Developer
Gamertag: HWM Jackie

Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:51 pm

Damn, I should have recommended that to you. I had assumed you had probably heard it before.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:54 pm

Jon LH Hart wrote:
Damn, I should have recommended that to you. I had assumed you had probably heard it before.

I've never been more disappointed in you.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:20 pm

There's a film coming out named Moonlight this fall. I'm so hyped. JANELLE MONAE IS IN THIS FILM.

Trailer:

"Based on the play “In Moonlight Black Boys Look Blue” by Tarell Alvin McCraney, the film tells the life story of a young man named Chiron (Trevante Rhodes) via three defining chapters of his life. Set in the 1980’s Miami during the height of Reagan’s War on Drugs, “Moonlight” follows Chiron as he comes of age, falls in love and discovers his own sexuality, all while learning to embrace his own vision of masculinity as characters float in and out of his life. The ensemble cast includes Naomie Harris (“Spectre”), André Holland (“The Knick”), Mahershala Ali (“The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”), Edson Jean (“War Dogs”), and soul/R&B singer Janelle Monaé in her debut film performance."

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:36 pm

Also, I was made aware that this still exists today: The Unofficial Smithers Love Song.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:14 am

Front Cover is making the festival rounds currently:

"FRONT COVER tells the story of Ryan Fu, a gay Chinese American who detests his Asian heritage and through talent and hard work, has attained his dream job as a celebrity fashion stylist.

One day Ryan’s boss assigns him to style Ning, an actor who has just arrived from Beijing for a top magazine photo shoot. Ning dismisses Ryan’s initial Western styling and demands Ryan creates an image for him which represents the power of the new China. Their egos and opinions clash resulting in a strained and difficult working relationship.

Over the following days, they slowly discover that they have a lot in common, and a mutual attraction begins to develop. As they become closer, Ryan reveals that he rejects his Chinese heritage because he is ashamed of his impoverished upbringing. Ning opens up and confesses that he is in the closet.

After a night out on the town together, a Chinese tabloid magazine exposes Ning as gay. Terrified of the impact it will have on his career, Ning implores Ryan to help him deny the story. Ryan must now decide to help Ning or stay true to himself."

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:42 pm

Wolfe Releasing has rights for this and it will be out next year. Hype.

FILM SYNOPSIS
Benny and Christopher, college freshmen, meet playing football and begin a relationship. They fall in love supported by their family and friends. As their love for each other grows, a past tragic event involving their mothers comes to light. This revelation tests their own love and Benny’s close-knit family.
Throughout this reflective love story, with the beauty of rural Ohio as its backdrop, Benny travels an emotional journey that examines both his own feelings and his family’s ability to come to terms with the past.  AKRON is a sensitive and unique independent film that puts a progressive, Midwestern spin on a classic family drama. 

STORY INSPIRATION
The original screenplay, by Brian O’Donnell, was inspired by the notion that the love between family members trumps all.
In conversations O’Donnell had with friends, gay and straight, it became obvious that people are ready to hear stories that include gay characters but are not primarily concerned with the characters’ sexuality. As people are accepting themselves and others at younger ages it’s important to show that, like Benny and Christopher in AKRON, gay men and lesbians are a natural and essential part of the fabric of society, part of the family. AKRON shows what it is like when gay men don’t have to leave their families for acceptance, where people are not so different after all. Where people can love each other for who they are.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:40 pm

Happy Bi Visibility Day!

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:52 pm

Rayvon Owen decided to come out with his latest video. He was on America's Got Talent a few years ago.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:34 am

TV update

Sunday:
Eyewitness (USA) - murder thriller. Two male leads are in high school, witness a murder, one of them is closeted. Good chemistry between the actors, the washed out colors of the show are annoying, too many subplots. Sheriff is fantastic and I am so here for her.

Tuesday:
Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Fox) - Look at my avatar. Watch this show. Everyone is amazing.
Fresh Off the Boat (ABC) - Still enjoying this show about a Taiwanese-American family living in Orlando in the mid-90s. #EmmyforConstanceWu
The Real O'Neals (ABC) - Second season is making Kenny reflect on who he is as a gay teen, not just fighting for his right to be. Still amusing.

Wednesday:
Black-ish (ABC) - Season 3 is still strong for this show exploring the modern black experience through the perspective of a well-off family.
Speechless (ABC) - New show about a family whose oldest son is physically and verbally impaired. He now has a new aide to help him communicate. Strong show with some Malcolm in the Middle vibes.

Thursday:
How To Get Away With Murder (ABC) - Viola Davis is everything. Also a nuanced portrayal of a gay breakup this season.
Superstore (NBC) - still with the weird humor. Doesn't always land. I like most of the cast though.
The Good Place (NBC) - I kinda hate this show, but I'm watching it with friends so I'm acknowledging it. Show about a white girl ruining heaven for a black guy.

Also, Hulu finally has season 3 of Please Like Me.

Netflix got the Get Down and Luke Cage recently. Also fantastic.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:57 pm

Another glowing review from AV Club has me aching to see Moonlight.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:06 am

Updates!

Moonlight was amazing. Honestly probably the most stirring move experience I've had all year. I saw this with a group of black gay men and their friends and honestly it's one of the highlight experiences of the year for me. This is still in theaters.

Front Cover was good. Melodramatic in ways I've come to expect of Chinese media, but still very good. It is now on Netflix.

Henry Gamble's Birthday Party was also fantastic. It's probably one of the best ensemble films I've ever seen, handling 20 characters with a deft touch that gives each of them complex humanity. The film does not judge its characters, but shows the layers of pressure they apply to each other. This is also available on Netflix.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:43 pm

Coming February, ABC is doing a television event about the history of the LGBT movement, so I'm sure I'll have something new to cry over.

Swift Strider
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Swift
Tumblr: throwinsixes

Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:18 am

Makes me sad whenever I see "This is now on Netflix" and I know it will either be another few years til I get it or I won't get it at all =[

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:34 am

Swift Strider wrote:
Makes me sad whenever I see "This is now on Netflix" and I know it will either be another few years til I get it or I won't get it at all =[

In many instances, Strand Releasing films are internationally available, so you might be able to watch Front Cover.