Heroic flight pack "Jet Pack"
3 (17%)
Medics portable battery "Regeneration Field"
1 (6%)
Automated sentinel watchdog package "Autosentry"
No votes
Holohumper 9000 "Hologram"
1 (6%)
I don't have a particular preference when it comes to armor abilities; my usage of them depends solely on the circumstance.
4 (22%)

Total votes: 18

Slagathor

Re: Prefered armor ability?

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:39 am

Deadpool MF wrote:
This poll is quite biased...

Derp Pack,

Heroic Flight Pack.... ::FP::

The "derp pack" bias is attributed to the thruster pack being an underpowered incarnation of the evade ability, with regards to the jet pack it also received a nerf towards it's energy or fuel also deeming it a negative title. The poll itself is fair, as it doesn't restrict ones ability to vote for their prefered armor trait. I'm not trying to say that the abilities themselves are bad, just branding them based off of the empirical/statistical evidence of the halo 4 community.

Deadpool MF
Gunner
Gunner
Gamertag: Deadpool MF

Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:34 am

Heroic Flight Pack sounds pretty damn positive to me sir...

Sarcasm Doesn't come through text well.

hel monkey
Heroic Gunner
Heroic Gunner
Gamertag: HWM Hel Monkey

Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:05 am

I use jet pack, mobility, and explosives. I'm a classic halo kind of player so this allows me to play without all the fancy new doo-dads, but get around the map extremely quickly.

I use bumper jumper with jetpack, but its not a big deal because I use it solely for transportation, never combat. If you want to use jetpack and bumper jumper AND fight with it, then you need to adopt Walshy's claw hand position from Halo 2. Look it up online I'm sure you may find something about it. But you use your middle finger on the trigger, index for X, and thumb for joystick.

Deadpool MF
Gunner
Gunner

Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:18 pm

ugh, the claw...

Scares my Senior aged self just imagining the arthritis that contorting one's hand like that for hours on end would do by the age of 65!

I mean, maybe there is no proof that would happen...

hel monkey
Heroic Gunner
Heroic Gunner
Gamertag: HWM Hel Monkey

Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:20 pm

Deadpool MF wrote:
Scares my Senior aged self just imagining the arthritis that contorting one's hand like that for hours on end would do by the age of 65!

I don't know, lots of people get carpal tunnel from playing a lot. I'm sure in 50 years when all the gamers from our generation gets old there will be studies coming out on the effects of gaming. But I don't think the jetpack is really a combat ability. All it does it get everyone on the map to blow your head off.

Bloody Initiate
Passenger Gunner
Passenger Gunner
Gamertag: Bloody Initiate

Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:49 am

People tend to use jet pack in combat the same way they use bumper jumper in combat.

A good strafe involves a lot of different movements whose purpose is making you unpredictable.

Most people don't have good strafes, but they still try. One of the simplest improvements is to run bumper jumper or jet pack on a shoulder button. You then jump or jet pack right before your enemy's final shot, gaining just enough elevation to take their shot in your body instead of in your head. It's easy to teach yourself because you just have to know how to count 4 shots (In Halo 4 it's 4; in Halo 3 you had to count to 3) and then hit that left bumper. The jet pack doesn't do it as well because you rise slowly with a jet pack so your oppoenent has more time to adjust, but a jet pack also affords you faster map movement.

I've been defeated by both, less often by the jet pack for the reason stated above. I haven't seen anyone trying it with a thruster pack, I suspect it's because exiting first person is too jarring and they have to regain their bearings while their opponent does not.

Jet packers and bumper jumpers also do well in rooms with low ceilings because it completes their upward movement early making their vertical adjustment more erratic and often hiding some of their head.

Just flying up in the air though... that DOES usually get you killed. Depending on the map and situation it can surprise people too (No one is looking up there), but most of the effective uses of jetpack in combat don't involve gaining a lot of elevation unless your enemy isn't in the room when you gain it (So they come in and don't see you on the ceiling) or if you got the drop on them and they take cover that can be defeated with high elevation. I enjoyed killing some snipers on flat rock in Ragnarok that way.

All of the AAs can improve your abilities in combat and can be used very well in a fight, it's all about doing something creative/unexpected with them, or at least something less common. I fought a guy who took cover just long enough to pop a regen field. The biggest advantage of regen field is it stops that painfully long shield recharge delay in Halo 4, so if you and your opponent are 1-shot, instead of risking death or trading kills you take cover, pop regen field, then step out because you're now 2-shot and they're still 1-shot. Autosentry takes the longest to deploy so you won't surprise anyone with it, but you can gain a lot if you have it out beforehand. Goes like that for all the AAs.
^ Credits to Mics R4 Chumps

Deadpool MF
Gunner
Gunner

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:10 am

I just get so sick of Jetpackers using their height advantage to drop grenades on my shieldless-hiding spartan...

I Finally get to cover just to hear "SHHHGGGHHVVVVVVVV"

"Ding Ding.... BOOM"

OboeCrazy
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: OboeCrazy

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:52 am

I rarely get killed by a jetpacker unless they surprise me by quite a bit. Jetpacking has such fluid, predictable movement that I don't have a problem predicting where they are going to be.

HOWEVER having to look up to deal with a jetpacker does make me more likely to be killed by a second player. The extra moment to look down and find the enemy is all that person usually needs. A good jetpacker will run with a team and get a TON of assists, putting in just enough shots to do damage and then get to safety and put their enemy in a bad position to look back down and find another enemy.

Then again any good duo can do the same thing, even on the ground.
This sig available for rent.

Bloody Initiate
Passenger Gunner
Passenger Gunner
Gamertag: Bloody Initiate

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:38 pm

OboeCrazy wrote:
Then again any good duo can do the same thing, even on the ground.

Yeah but the available real estate on the ground is a lot tighter. It's just like you said, the point is to attack from two angles that are far enough apart you can't easily switch between them/have them both on your screen simultaneously.

In my experience most people don't jet pack in a fight, but it's one of those things you can do to surprise your enemy, especially if they lost sight of you for a moment. This happens a lot in Ragnarok in the canyon and the river. Those pathways gently bend so two people hugging the same wall will naturally lose sight of each other, more and more often jet packs use the opportunity to gain elevation so when you come around with that headshot ready to pre-fire you don't see anyone. It's especially common on the river rocks where there are places they can land so they have 9 seconds of higher elevation instead of just the jet pack's burn time.

I use it a lot on the hill to drop off the ledge and an enemy starts looking down for me in the river as I land right next to him. I'll also use it to gain max elevation on people whose cover is level-dependent, as I said above. Snipers especially seem happy to take 4 shots and then crouch to avoid the 5th. I tend to be comfortable using the jet pack like that because if I'm fighting the sniper that usually means we've killed everyone else.

Most the time it's not a dodge so much as a feint. More often it's useful for starting a fight someone didn't expect to have, like jumping up to the sniper posts on Solace.Those guys aren't interested in having you that close shooting at them, that's why they're up there.
^ Credits to Mics R4 Chumps