Get in the Hog if you want to live!

Wheels36
Heroic Wheelman
Heroic Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Wheels

Community Forge Test Playlist

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:39 pm

What do you all think about the maps in the new playlist? Go play them and leave feedback at the following link to let 343 know if you want them to stay in matchmaking.

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_pos ... ation.aspx

Well, now that the Community Forge Test playlist is live, 343 has allowed maps in matchmaking with weapons that respawn in the same spot with no random ordinance locations as well as weapons and nades lying around on the ground with no indicators Halo 3 style.

Should I retool my map Nova to have no random ordinance and respawning weapons like old Halo games? Go to my maps thread to leave feedback.

viewtopic.php?f=134&t=14476

Wheels36
Heroic Wheelman
Heroic Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Wheels

Re: Community Forge Test Playlist

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:56 pm

Here are my feedback thus far.

Shutout - Hated this map in Halo 3 and couldn't believe it was a remake. Please don't bring it back.

Despair - This is an EXCELLENT map for King of the Hill gametype. Very fun. Not sure how well it would play out in other modes.

Garrotte - Very confusing at first. I hated it the first time I played it. It seems VERY tiny. It does have the redeeming feature of the only random ordinance being shotgun/scattershot. Right up my alley! I'll give it another try.

Relay - Very basic layout. Kinda boring but not a terrible map.

Scythe - The most confusing and most hated of the playlist. I know there are color coded areas, but it doesn't help at all.

Simplex - The best map of the playlist IMO. Great fun on the CTF variant used with it. Sticky Detonator and Railgun respawns? Sign me up!

Black Knight
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM BlacKnight

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:16 am

I enjoyed testing Despair back in the day.

The only maps I don't like are Garrotte and Relay.

Garrotte was desgined to be a 2vs2 map but was added to the 4vs4 playlist but it's too chaotic to support this amount of players. CTF games are VERY intense but again due to it's small size the boltshot cripples it. (Azn loves this map though :p )

Relay - It's an on disk map created by 343 but slightly altered by a forger. Overall the map is very boring as there's not a lot of height elevation changes and most of the game results around in running in circles. At least Zealot had ramps on the outside creating more of a Z axis.

Shutout - Lockout from Halo 2, it's a good map but does it work well with the settings of Halo 4? No, the jetpack kills this map.

Scythe - Haven't played this yet.
The others I love and I would play them over the matchmaking maps.

Sig by TuffJuice

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:26 am

I'm not digging Shutout. I didn't think Blackout was great because it didn't really fit Halo 3, and I think another Lockout remake would be worse in Halo 4.

I didn't really enjoy Despair. KIng of the Hill is kind of a clusterfuck on that map.

Relay's layout really annoyed me in how I felt I constantly spawned trapped.
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

OboeCrazy
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: OboeCrazy

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:40 pm

There does feel like a gulf in quality...I think some of the maps are outstanding and others.awful. Clear callout locations absolutely help me enjoy the map, and colors don't always help enough.
This sig available for rent.

Deadpool MF
Gunner
Gunner
Gamertag: Deadpool MF

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:21 am

Shutout - I LOVE this map for Swat... Hate it for regular Infinity Slayer... Like Black said, Take out the Jetpack and it is a lot better...

Scyth - I really enjoyed.

Despair - I hate this map. its 2 sitelines with ignored corners... Might be better for Oddball or CTF... I hated KOTH on this, It wouldn't be too bad if the middle hill didn't pop up EVERY OTHER HILL MOVE. Also might be better if playing with two teams that are agreeing to play KOTH, because Everytime I've played this we've won, but its because the other teams are group shotting from the two hallways at all our players in the middle, just farming kills. its quite annoying.

I did really enjoy the One game i've been able to play on Garotte, but it was just because I enjoyed popping in the middle area and using the various halfwalls and infinite directions to look and shoot players to control the center, but I can see how a 2v2 would run better on the map. And if the other team wasn't completely oblivious to the map, I probably wouldn't have as much fun on it. lol

Also Despair... WHY ARE THERE LIKE 3 Boltshots just ALWAYS spawning? I hate that weapon so much, and the map just gives people extra ammo the whole time.

Bloody Initiate
Passenger Gunner
Passenger Gunner
Gamertag: Bloody Initiate

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:28 pm

Relay and Scythe are awful, largely because of the ordnance settings seem to be BTB ordnance settings. So instead of a bunch of small map ordnance you get massive launchers and binary rifles dominating games. I got a rocket launcher, thought I had done pretty well for ordnance, and then got killed by another rocket launcher. Couldn't help but think "Shouldn't that be rare on a map this size?". Combine that with the fact that people tryhard a lot in Relay and I just couldn't stand that map.

Simplex was very good, I was surprised at how comfortable and logical the map seemed to be. Even when I was losing I felt OK about it, because I could see why and how and I didn't get the sense I was just being screwed by the map. It's very small though, and it feels small.

Despair has too much difference between the top and the bottom. The safest paths up are all very enclosed so fights are either completely isolated or completely exposed, there's not enough of the middle ground that makes a map engaging.

I haven't played Shutout yet, don't care if I ever do. I didn't like Lockout in Halo 2, I slowly forgave Blackout in Halo 3, but I definitely don't feel like that map deserved to show up in 3 games, let alone 2 or even 1. It's just not that good. People always remember it fondly because they're remembering the games where they got the best spot and owned people, but they easily forget how much fun it ISN'T to start badly in Halo 2 maps. Halo 2 maps are one-sided starting-push-wins-the-game maps, they're bad and always have been, sadly people like bad and we keep getting haunted by it.

I played Garrote only once and briefly, I got one kill with a needler and then got interrupted inexcusably IRL and chose to quit to spare my team the annoyance of me getting killed while away from my controller.

Of all of them I think Simplex is good enough for Matchmaking, I haven't played Garrote enough to judge but I don't think any of the others should get into permanent rotation.
^ Credits to Mics R4 Chumps

Deadpool MF
Gunner
Gunner
Gamertag: Deadpool MF

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:45 am

Yeah I think my Love for Lockout stems from Local Multiplayer play from Halo 2...

4 Dudes in one living room all playing FFA on that map was so much fun.

I still hold that its a good swat map, But for the other gametypes I can see how its not too good.

Luv Gunn
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Luv Gunn

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:11 pm

Shutout Pro... very interesting.