Get in the Hog if you want to live!

il Duce
Mythic Wheelman
Mythic Wheelman
Title: Drinking Coach
Gamertag: HWM il Duce

Everything you need to know about Forge 2.0

Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:16 am

I'm putting this here now as it's going to take me some hours to complete and I don't want to get done only to have more topics like it in place. I plan to compile all available Forge info right here, from build spaces, to pre-built variants, to object names and costs. I will included screenshots wherever possible. If you have any extra tidbits or something you want me to focus a bit extra on, feel free to PM me.

Build Spaces:
Spoiler: show
Forge World is one giant map, that as seen in the vidoc can be navigated in its entirety. It is also broken up into distinct playable areas that can easily stand alone as playable spaces. It is also important to note that the player can define the playable space, I imagine much like a spawn zone in Forge 1.0. This means that you can build on the island, but only use half of it, or the gulch... or even make a map that includes 1-2 elements but not all.
The GulchAs seen in the RvB vidoc, it was understandably misinterpreted as a new map. Hemhorrage is the pre-built blood gulch remake, but it was built in the "Gulch" section of Forge World, not as a stand-alone map as we believed.

The IslandYep, it's an island all right...

El Paradiso(Bungie forge variant, a la default foundry or sandbox)

The InteriorYour typical grifball interior, similar to the crypt, but this has a giant open door on one end, making it a very build-able space to be used in a larger way, that may combine 2 or more of these individual spaces in a larger map. It is located directly under the pocket.

Picture of "KotHog" (will get into that later) depicting door on the "interior"
The PocketThis is a ledge that overlooks the "Rock" space, could be used for small, arena-based maps, an outdoor grifball court, or again as a piece to a larger puzzle. Bungie seems to have remade Sanctuary here (For those not familiar with Halo 2, think "Haven" on sandbox) So this piece is also larger than it appears.

Sanctuary remakeLocated on the Pocket.

The RockA tall rock "spire" with what seems to be a spiral ramp up the side. Bungie used this to forge an Ascension remake, so that should give you some idea as to the size of it.

The ascension remake

The Cliff FaceWhile not officially talked about or recognized as a build space, this is the surface that the pre-built Cage map is attached to.

The Cage
Another example
The ShorelineThe Coastline? Too relaxing.

AlaskaLooks like perfect terrain for warthogs

The Lagoon"Yup, I went with the Lagoon. The water here is deep enough to be deadly and I figured I could do something interesting by submerging some walkways knee deep in the gentle, crystal blue waves. Plus, it’s an awesome looking sea cave with waterfalls spilling down from high above. Even if my map sucks butts, at least the surrounding space will look downright beautiful. Thanks, Cotton!"

Features:
PhysicsNormal- Just like Halo 3, objects released in mid-air fall, and objects can collide with other objects
Fixed- Objects released in mid-air are suspended in mid-air, object is still solid and can collide with other objects
Phased- Object can be seamlessly geomerged with other objects, mid-air hovering of objects is also enabled when this property is toggled on.

Object PlacementNudge:This enables you to bump object on all axes incrementally, allowing for perfect line-ups and exact placement. If you can see it in the image, it also works for object rotation.

Snap:Allows for rotation of objects on all axes in 90 or 45 degree increments.

Delete All of this type:Exactly what it says. If you placed a bunch of wall pieces as a floor, or if you want to remove all the default spawns from a map, you can select one object and have the option to delete all like objects from the map.

Object Color:Some objects have a color option. These can be set to differentiate between red/blue/etc. bases without having to place colored columns or lights within the objects.

Objective Placement:As teased earlier, apparently it is possible to put objective markers on/in vehicles, making for a King of the Hog variant, where the hog is the hill. This could make for awesome hog v. Hog specific variants.

The Objects:
The default Forge World as shown on Gamespot has a beginning budget of $10000. It also appears that in "Basic Editing" mode that all objective points, spawn points, weapon spawns are shown, not just slayer or the loaded gametype. This means no more forging spawn points, then switching to CTF and having to start over. All can be done by loading once.
This image appears to be every object used to forge Pinnacle
The "build object" menu has the following categories:
Weapons, Human-Assault Rifle
Designated Marksman Rifle
Frag Grenade
Grenade Launcher
Magnum
Rocket Launcher
Shotgun
Sniper Rifle
Spartan Laser

Weapons, Covenant-Concussion Rifle
Energy Sword
Fuel Rod Cannon
Focus Rifle
Gravity Hammer
Needler
Needle Rifle
Plasma Grenade
Plasma Launcher
Plasma Pistol
Plasma Repeater
Plasma Rifle
Spiker

The target designator didn't make it into Forge World. Ferrix is sorry...

Armor Abilities-All are a cost of $50, they can be placed as pick-ups around the map and players can switch them out on the fly like equipment. It appears as though by default you can place 4 of each type. Active Camo, Armor Lock, Drop Shield, Evade, Hologram, Jet Pack, Sprint.

Vehicles -UNSC-Falacon- $100 - (8)
-Forklift - Civilian
-Mongoose- $50 - (12)
-Scorpion- $150 - (4)
-Warthog-Chain
-Warthog-Guass
-Warthog-AA

(Civilian Vehicles didn't make it into Forge World. Ferrix is very sorry..)

Vehicles -Covenant-Banshee- $100 - (8)
-Ghost- $75 - (8)
-Shade turret- $150 - (4)
-Revenant- $100 - (8)
-Wraith

Gadgets-Explosives
Fusion Coil
Land Mine
Health Station
The Health Station is a standalone object and can be placed anywhere.
LoadoutCam
You can choose each team's point of view at the opening of the game with this little gadget.

Other special itemsMancannon man - Man cannon for infranty.
Vechicle cannon - More powerfull cannon.
One way shield 1
One way shield 2
One way shield 3

Teleporters-Reciever Node
-Sender Node
-Two Way Node
Each node can be set up to either allow heavy vehicles, players, light vehicles, or air vehicles to pass through. The area of effect can also be changed. Unlike in Halo 3, there is no set point for where you exit a reciever node or a two way node. Whichever direction you pass through the sender node of the two way node is the same direction you will come out of the reciever node of two way node.

Powerups*Custom Powerup A
*Custom Powerup B
*Custom Powerup C
*Custom Powerup D
It has been confirmed that Halo: Reach's Forge World will include multiple custom powerups that have different traits set by the user while creating a custom game variant.

Spawning--Starting Point
-Spawn Point
-Respawn Area

Objectives--Infection Safe Area
-Headhunter Score Areas
-King of The Hill; Hill

Scenery--None at this point in time-

Structure- Structure opens up a whole other sub-menu1)Building Blocks-Blocks shown cost $10 each and range from 1x1 and up in short, flat, tall, and tall and thin variations, up to ONE HUNDRED of each can be placed!
-Block, 1x1
-Block, 1x1, Flat
-Block, 1x1, Short
-Block, 1v1, Tall
-Block, 1x1, Tall and Thin
-Block, 1x2
-Block, 1x4
-Block, 2x1, Flat
-Block, 2x2
-Block, 2x2, Flat
-Block, 2x2, Short
-Block, 2x2, Tall
-Block, 2x3
-Block, 2x4
-Block, 2x4, Flat
-Block, 3x3
-Block, 3x3, Flat
-Block, 3x3, Short
-Block, 3x3, Tall
-Block, 3x4
-Block, 4x4
-Block, 4x4, Flat
-Block, 4x4, Short
-Block, 4x4, Tall
-Block, 5x5, Short
-Block, 5x5, Tall

2)Bridges and Platforms-nothing to report, as they didn't open this menu in any of the vids i saw, but this showed up in the vidoc... Looks like a light bridge to me.
-Bridge, Small
-Bridge, Medium
-Bridge, Large
-Bridge, XLarge
-Bridge, Diagonal
-Bridge, Diagonal, Small
-Dish
-Dish, Open

3)Buildings- Shown were various Bunkers, pyramids, and towers at a cost of $150 max 12 of each type
-Bunker, Small
-Bunker, Small, Covered
-Bunker, Box
-Bunker, Round
-Bunker, Ramp
-Pyramid
-Tower, 2 Story
-Tower, 3 Story
-Tower, Tall
-Room, Double
-Room, Triple

4)Decorative--None at this time-

Toys--Dice
-Soccer ball
-Golf Ball
-7-iron
-Kill-ball

5)Doors, Windows, and Walls--None at this time-

6)Inclines--none at this time-

7)Natural-8)Grid, 2 placeable, cost $100 each

9)Effects-Colorblind
-Next Gen
-Juicy
-Nova
-Olde Timey
-Pen and Ink
-Purple
-Green
(Note: There could be more)

10)Lights-Light, Red
Light, Blue
Light, Green
Light, Orange
Light, Purple
Light, Yellow
Light, White
Light, Red, Flashing
Light, Blue, Flashing
Light, Green, Flashing
Light, Orange, Flashing
Light, Purple, Flashing
Light, Yellow, Flashing
Light, White, Flashing

If you see or find any more information on the build list, please post it here or PM me so i can try to complete this list.

Gametypes and pertinent questions:
The following is information gleaned from the question and answer session that Yozi linked. Thanks to him and HBO for the info!
As noted before, objectives can be attached to objects, leading to this question...

Q. I wonder what would happen if you made a Warthog the Bomb and had to
plant it at the enemies base.
A:The Bomb (and Flag, and Oddballs) work a bit differently--you can control where they spawn, but not what actually spawns. But, you could play Assault where the goal is to plant the bomb on a Warthog (or any other vehicle.) Or on a soccer ball!

Q.Can things work purely aesthetically like lights, environmental effects, or
directional pointers (arrows signs etc), and if so, will they be mainly included
within the object color, advanced options etc within the objects?
A: There's lights, global screen filters, and a good selection of decorative objects. No explicit signs, I don't think (might depend on the map.)

Q. Is there any interactive geometry like glass?A: If by interactive you mean destructible glass, afraid not. There are definitely destroyable objects, though.

Q. Are there vehicle only teleporters?A: Yep, you can set a teleporter to work on (and I'm pretty sure only-on) vehicles.

Q. Can kill zones be customized to be a one way door? Say if you enter the
kill zone you cannot leave it.
A:No, but we do have some one-way shield door objects that you could use to accomplish the same game mechanics.

Q. Are all weapons available on all maps? I know in H3 some weapons
wouldn't show sometimes.
A:All weapons, all maps. The MP guys had strong sauce this time, and budgeted accordingly.

The Pre-Built Maps

The Cage
This is NOT a Lockout remake, simply a "Lockout-esque" map

Pinnacle (aka Ascension)

Hemhorrage (aka Blood Gulch/Coagulation)

Not sure if this one will make the cut to the disk, but will surely be available for download...
Warlock

Baseless Speculation:
It seems that when loading Forge there are several Gametype options. The one used in the demos was "Basic Editing"
One of the features that I really wanted in Forge 1.0 was the ability to have 2 or more teams with each team having its own budget and ONE forger per team. This would allow for vehicle, barrier, weapon, and armor placement on the fly by 2 competing teams... could be fun. Hoping that it shows up.

il Duce
Mythic Wheelman
Mythic Wheelman

Re: Everything you need to know about Forge 2.0

Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:20 pm

More coming, but i think i have enough done to unlock it now.

BUfels
Gamertag: BUfels

Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:24 pm

Nice work.

From the cradle to the grave, it has been a walk of shame.

Jaime Lannister and La Dispute fanboy.

Black Knight
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM BlacKnight

Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:32 pm

Nice work Duce! ::thumbs::

The orange bridge things remind me of the barriers we saw in Invasion where only one team can pass through. Could be useful in objective gametypes where you can make it easier for the defenders to get to their base without allowing the attacking team to use it.
1)Building Blocks-Blocks shown cost $10 each and range from 1x1 and up in short, flat, tall, and tall and thin variations, up to ONE HUNDRED of each can be placed!

I'm loving the idea of having 100 of each as it means you shouldn't really need to worry about using too much of one object. There's been too many times in forge where I've run out of a particular object meaning that I need to use 2 half walls to make a full wall. That also takes up the max limt size so I like this.

Sig by TuffJuice

crunchUK
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: a3ec

Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:40 pm

My brain just exploded with the implications. Clearly, Bungie intends to ensure we never need another Halo game ever again... those who got into ATLAS before membership closed are very, very lucky.

Also, this forge slayer you describe could be awesome - you got halo wars in mah shooter...!

Yozi
Gunner
Gunner
Gamertag: HWM Yozi

Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:53 pm

Nice work, Duce.

H3WM il Duce wrote:
Baseless Speculation:
It seems that when loading Forge there are several Gametype options. The one used in the demos was "Basic Editing"
One of the features that I really wanted in Forge 1.0 was the ability to have 2 or more teams with each team having its own budget and ONE forger per team. This would allow for vehicle, barrier, weapon, and armor placement on the fly by 2 competing teams... could be fun. Hoping that it shows up.

It's been confirmed that "Basic Editing" is the same as forging for All Gametypes in Forge 1.0. So that list is just to choose which base gametype you'll be editing for before you start the game. So it looks like no actual new gametypes will be in that list, but hey, you never know. :P
Source: http://halo.bungie.org/misc/ferrex_forg ... 00722.html LOTS of other good info/answers there. Here's one for Duce:

BK Burger Boy wrote:
So say, if you built an objective gametype that utilized all 5 of the map segments, you would have enough budget to create extensive structures on each part withing the limits, or is the budget intended to be a lot more localized to one area?

Ferrex wrote:
You wouldn't be able to build, say, Lockout in 3-4 places on the map. But you could certainly set up some Hemorrhage bases in a bunch of places on the map.

You can actually build quite a bit and pretty complicated structures pretty cheaply, so if you're imagining some grand battles across the entire length of the map, going from base to base, I'm pretty sure you could manage it.

And is it just me or does the map rotate at 4:42 in the Vidoc?

il Duce
Mythic Wheelman
Mythic Wheelman

Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

I think it's forged that way. There are a couple such variations in foundry, very Escher-esque. It's amazing what you can do with angles and a first person perspective.

RJ
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM RJ

Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:27 pm

Yozi wrote:
And is it just me or does the map rotate at 4:42 in the Vidoc?

In the Midship remake they said it was possible to get outside the ship in a space environment with different gravity, so that could be it.
1/3 of the HWM U-Haul Trifecta

[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

OboeCrazy
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: OboeCrazy

Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:36 pm

This is all looking insanely exciting! Even for someone like me, who isn't someone who uses Forge a bunch...I can't wait to see what comes out of all the new stuff and techniques people will have. Just having that option to take an object and fix or faze it looks like it'll save everyone a TON of time!
This sig available for rent.

il Duce
Mythic Wheelman
Mythic Wheelman

Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:59 pm

more info added... including max falcon and scorpion count...and other vehicles... No warthog info yet... Me love you long time if you can find it anywhere.

Black Knight
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM BlacKnight

Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:57 pm

I found out some stuff.

Forge:
The maxium amount of players that can be in forge is still 8.
"Time actively spent in the Forge does provide some credits. " <<< Thats awesome!

The Forge grid.
This is actually an object... which is HUGE!

Weapons:
You will also be able to start with any weapon unlike in halo3 where you couldn't start with certain weapons. No carbine starts :(

Safe Zones:
To make ForgeWorld playable with 4vs4 without one player getting outside the map and running off to the other side there will be safe zones.
"Safe Zones limit players to certain parts of the map, as defined by the map author. If you leave the Safe Zone, you either die (hard Safe Zone) or are warned to return to the battle (soft Safe Zone.)"

Sig by TuffJuice

An Odd Armchair
Apprentice GP
Apprentice GP
Gamertag: An Odd Armchair

Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:25 am

This is going to be awesome, not just because it will be fun to mess around in, perhpas try and make a serious map, but because the amount of high quality maps that are sure to come from this is going to be awesome. I can't wait to play on a race track that spans all 5 zones, and then some. The whole thing has me super excited.

Houdini
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HouAmI

Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:09 am

::shock::

Question:
...4. Are there vehicle only teliporters?

Response:
...4. Yep, you can set a teleporter to work on (and I'm pretty sure only-on) vehicles.

^^^This is going to be very interesting.
MIA 2010 Spartans Never Die
BerserkerBarage
Ice Devil 13

elitespartan117
Passenger Gunner
Passenger Gunner
Gamertag: bigardojr

Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:04 am

Reach is going to be epic! ::thumbs:: ::flex::
confirmed space combat in single player campagin as well ::bump::
Proud member of the Helljumper "pink" swords...
I finally get my heroic gunner in halo 3, and they don't track halo 3 stats anymore :'(

l33t4life
Contest Loser
Contest Loser
Gamertag: l33t4life

Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:26 pm

H3WM il Duce wrote:

I think it would be cool if set a time for you to forge a base and weapons and such and then it switches to a normal slayer mode. Or like your idea and the rest of the people are slaying =D

I think there would have to be a way to stop from forging only power weapons though.