Get in the Hog if you want to live!

Black Knight
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM BlacKnight

Warthog map?

Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:37 pm

If you've clicked this topic thinking that I've made a warthog map you're going to be disappointed. However since you're here what would you like to see as a warthog ordinated map for Reach?

I won't be doing remakes.
Stuff I'll like to know, play spaces, base design (multi-tiered etc...), powerweapons, scale and anything else you would like to see.

Thanks.

Sig by TuffJuice

DOM
Legendary Gunner
Legendary Gunner
Gamertag: HWM DOMIN8

Re: Warthog map?

Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:44 pm

Standoff Remake!!!

lol... But seriously just more openness would be nice. And no tank, banshee, laser, plasma launcher, sniper, wraith, dmr or any other weapon that kills a hog in two seconds... :) Maybe just a neutral set of good ole rockets...
Retired Admin (even though current "leadership" doesn't acknowledge it.)

Heroic Wheelman
Heroic Wheelman
Gamertag: AH Haut

Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:55 pm

we had a go with enterprise, if you build it they will come.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:57 pm

I'd like a space that encourages ground pounders to move around the map so that the hog can be effective. I'd like to see a map in the similar make of standoff, where it was a GP heavy map that a hog was a game changer on. I'd like a base that is well protected, but doesn't allow the enemy to sit back on it the whole time.

As for power weapons, I'd like to go along with the standoff style with a neutral plasma launcher. The PL is powerful, but not a total deciding factor like a laser can be.

I'm not totally bothered about a symmetrical map. But I would like a balanced map.
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

Syience
Mythic Wheelman
Mythic Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Syience

Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:41 pm

i think a good hog map would have to be symmetrical in both base layout and map layout. i think there should be 2 hogs per base and the map should be small enough so that the other half of your team not in hogs can still operate but at the same time big enough for hogs to roam. the reason behind 2 hogs is that they die very easily and that can add a kind of hog to hog teamwork and make the game more interesting.

as far as weapons go i like the idea of a neutral plasma launcher, with that there should also be maybe a concussion rifle and maybe a man turret to aid in hog suppression at each base. i think you should omit adding snipers, rockets or lasers as they tend to give a heavy advantage to a team wielding these power weapons.

as far as vehicles besides the obvious 2 hogs per side i think each side should get 1-2 mongeese. there should be no air or heavy vehicles to keep the game fun.

last thing i could think of is that all except a few should be outside the base, similar to how standoff had it with brute shot and invis. this is because a reach hog cant take 3+ enemies like a halo 3 hog could. making all the sapwns inside would make it hard to get kills, but placing them outside would allow the hogs to do some work but also with the fact 3 people teamshotting DMRs at a hog will make it think twicr about sticking around.

just my 2 cents :D

EDIT:
you could also get creative and make a map using waterlike this guy did
Spoiler: show

Houdini
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HouAmI

Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:22 am

I'm working on a map, it's got a little bit to go but soon. ::thumbs::
MIA 2010 Spartans Never Die
BerserkerBarage
Ice Devil 13

Jonesy
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: l Jonesy I

Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:32 am

Bad sight lines are the key imo

If you have good sightlines, such as Standoff did, with the Reach hitscan DMR there is no incentive for GP's to leave the base at all. Meaning the hog becomes useless.

So you want an open-ish area for the hog to drive around, but with smaller sightlines, so Gp's have to move around as well.
Don't take life too seriously, or you'll never get out alive

Ninja
Master Gunner
Master Gunner
Gamertag: UndeadHank

Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:02 pm

1. hills
2. visible paths around the map
3. lines of cover that you can take and utilize, fight over and defend
4. easy to understand/navigate map design
5. "heavy" enabled (sorry but i really want to gauss in reach :D )
BTB Random.

Black Knight
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM BlacKnight

Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:24 pm

Sorry I won't be making any maps with the gauss in mind as it's very OP'ed. Only asymmetrical maps such as Zanzibar would work for the gauss.

Sig by TuffJuice

Twisted
'11 HogOff Winner - Gunner
'11 HogOff Winner - Gunner
Gamertag: HWM Twisted GT

Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:42 pm

set paths with lines and a no' mans land. lines which can be flanked, and a short bunker style base. (key elements of standoff)
If you think we're a rolling double kill.. come get it.

Luv Gunn
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Luv Gunn

Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:29 pm

I've hyped up my map, The Expressway as being a hog map but it almost "sentences" the Halo: Reach Warthog to being a crappy Halo: Reach warthog. By that I mean that there is little chance anyone will get more than a wheelman spree on my map since there are SO many weapons/ways to take down a hog as well as such little cover to drive in and out of... To counter this I added MOAR hogs with faster respawn times and made sure that this map would work for Multi-Team shenanigans to encourage hog vs. hog battles (which I RARELY see anymore).

SO...What do I think an "Real" warthog map needs to be "competitive"?
  • Cover for the hog to use and limited Lines of Sight to prevent DMR'ing from across the map
  • Power Weapons on the map to take down a hog, placed out in the open to promote GP vulnerability (Think risk vs. reward like the laser on Standoff!)
  • "Predictable" routes of travel for the hog AND GP'ers (for the kids) as well as alternate routes for the more seasoned wheelmen
  • Slight hills to allow the driver to go TOO fast and barrel roll
  • MOAR Hogs to encourage hog vs. hog battles (2 per base with staggered respawn times a la Hemmorhage)
  • No Heavies
  • No Revies

P.S.- An interesting thought... What if there WAS a Standoff "remake" and, in addition to each base having 1 warthog, the left silo contained a wraith and the right silo a Rocket Hog... just to mix things up ::thumbs::

Luv Gunn
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Luv Gunn

Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:52 am

So, Tempest meets a lot of our demands for what a good hog map needs... its balanced and symmetrical. It has limited lines of sight to prevent cross map DMR'ing, lots of cover for both GP's and the Hog, the power weapons are out and about, a no man's land, exposed "standoff" style turrets, hills for cover AND flipping, great aesthetics.

With some proper forging (removal of the sniper, addition of a grenade launcher/concussion rifle) and strategy this map will become a great BTB map. I think the height differences make a HUGE difference when it comes to driving so I think we should add multi-leveled map to the checklist of requirements. Maybe not ALL maps, but when forging definitely try different slopes and heights with GP cover being yet another level on top of that.

Also, the bases should be "simple" but hard to camp. With Armor Lock and/or Drop Shield the bases on Hemorrhage become impenetrable fortresses!