Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Re: Invasion: Divine Beyond

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:30 pm

There were some glitches I pointed out in the Shoutbox, but I'm gonna reiterate my point that defenders should never feel comfortable running up to the attackers spawns to try and steal weapons or such. There were a number of times at tier 2 and 3 where the Elites started charging the Spartan's power weapon tower. I don't think attackers need to play extended defense..

Also, I think at least one spawn should be able to see if the weapons are on spawn on the respawn camera. That plays a big role in where I spawn sometimes in Invasion. I'll check to see if something is up.
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

Luv Gunn
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Luv Gunn

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:48 am

A couple things...The Wraith was difficult to drive since the Elite side was so cluttered but it wasn't awful. From watching the film I noticed that there was a teleporter on top of the spartans tower, from just on the other side of the Gap. This Tele took you back over to tier 1 into the territories. A couple players went through, realized where they were then walked outside and "crossed the bridge" via tele. This definitely is not needed. Yozi was able to take control of the tower because 4 spartans spawned back to try to get the falcon up. Yozi stole Laser and got a triple kill.

SO, I understand that you might want 2 ways up to the tower but maybe make it a 1-way tele. Frankly, the lift was kinda shoddy too. Just my opinion but I didn't like it. Maybe just some steep ramps, one on each side... :shrug:

Somehow, at tier 1 BK spawned on paradiso... into a soft kill zone, so I don't know how that happened.

Also, I think it was BK, as a spartan, that went through the tele into tier 2 before tier 1 was even capped. This shouldn't happen and led to a quick bomb plant while we scrambled.

Honestly, it was a good map, it just needs a little fine tuning and more play testing. If I didn't like it I wouldn't have said a word.

Luv Gunn from Tier 1 Divine Beyond

Valkyrion
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Valkyrion

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:48 pm

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I took your advice & made some fixes tonight. First, I checked the spawn points & tweaked some respawn zones & softkill zones in Tier 1. Still have no idea how Black Knight ended up on Paradiso— there was no spawn point there, & I placed plenty of starting spawns on the map (it was outside of the Safe Zone, so that's why there was the death countdown). :shrug: Next, I deleted the teleporters. I might bring them back for infantry only, but that's still on the fence. Also moved vehicle starting spawns up to the middle of the Tier 1 area.

Following that, I pulled the entire base back a short distance, then sunk the lower half of the base & raised the upper half so that the platforms are lower & less of a height advantage while the base still looks tall & (somewhat) imposing. Also raised the Kill Ball at the center so that shots can be taken across the room relatively unhindered.

Moved Sniper Tower to an area a short distance away from the front of the base. It's low enough into the ground that jumping down is 90% guaranteed to not result in fall damage. Used a small gravity lift in the back for accessing the tower; this keeps the elites from easily getting up. Moved Spartan Tier 2/3 spawns forward, adding necessary cover to keep the walk from becoming a gauntlet. Finally, added a timed extension bridge (thanks Black Knight) to cross the gap at the start of Tier 2.

Things to still do:
  • Make a quick access way for infantry to cross the canyon.
  • Finallize Elite spawns Tiers 2/3.
  • Move/remodel Elite vehicle bay.
  • Possibly move the Tier 3 capture point.
  • Possibly replace Wraith with Revenant.
  • Playtest (obviously).

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:21 pm

invasion doesn't use respawn points. It uses the respawn areas indicated by the arrows you see on the Bungie-created maps.
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

Valkyrion
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder

Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:17 pm

True, Invasion doesn't use basic spawn points. However, it does use Initial Spawn points (which I meant when I said "spawn points"; sorry for confusion) for starting spawns each round. In the absence of an initial spawn point, a regular spawn point can be used for initial spawning. Seeing as I found none & double-checked both my spawn point & initial spawn counts, I'm guessing where BK spawned was a generic spawn location on blank Forgeworld when something is wrong with one or more initial spawns. What was wrong? I'm not sure; may have been the overlap of some soft-kill zones I laid nearby, or maybe the spawn points were badly placed. I don't know. I'm looking into it for now.

Valkyrion
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder

Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:53 pm

Divine Beyond v3 & Invasion: Divine Beyond are now on my B.net fileshare. After some much-needed improvements, I believe its ready for some more playtesting. If you want to download & test them out, be my guest. Just be sure to give me some feedback on what to fix, what to improve, etc. ::wink::

I'll get up new screenshots in a few days. I won't keep you all waiting long. ::wink::

EDIT:: There's still a couple very minor things I'd like to clean up a bit, but I won't be able to polish them off until Tuesday evening... so any of you who were thinking about DLing may want to wait until around until Wednesday when the little things will be all fixed up.

Valkyrion
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder

Re: Invasion: Divine Beyond v3.4

Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:57 pm

After many long hours of changes, I've finished Version 3 of Divine Beyond. For your enjoyment, I have posted newly updated screenshots & included the new file links for Divine Beyond v3.5 & Invasion: Divine Beyond 1.1 here.

Without further ado, the screenshots:

Tier 1: "The Twin Tyrants":
Spoiler: show
One of the first views you'll see: the rocky terrain & "Tyrant" AA guns of Tier 1:

A closer look at your targets.

Overhead view of Tier 1 Spartan spawns, as well as spawning area for Warthog (Tier 2) and Falcon (Tier 3):

A view from the back of Tier 1, showing the 3 elite spawn areas.

Inside "Purple Tyrant" on "Pride Rock" (higher of the 2 AA guns), the territory area encompasses the central teleporter. Identical in "Blue Tyrant." Teleporters opens up in Tier 2 & lead to the relative spawn locations for the left & right teams.

Middle team doesn't have a teleporter to their own personal spawn area, but they do have this nice bridge to drive the 'Hog over. Experimented with a timed spawn in which one part of the bridge spawns in, then the next, then the next (thanks for the idea BK). Given some unknown circumstances, however, some parts of the bridge tend to spawn out of sequence with the rest of the parts. IDK why; just a minor fail on Bungie's part.

Tier 2/3: "Assault on the Control Room" (cwatididthar?):
Spoiler: show
Tier 2/3 spawn for Seaside Team. Teleporter from Blue Tyrant leads to the receiver node on the top of the Triple Room. Spawn zone inside, protected by 1-way shield doors. Laser spawns here Tier 3. The spawn zone has you facing the exit that leads to a narrow cliff walkway. It allows for more covered access to the Seaside Door; also puts the Core Capture point in sight.

Tier 2/3 spawn for Gorge Team. Teleporter from Purple Tyrant leads to the receiver node in the pic. Rockets spawn here Tier 2, in between the little rock & the small forerunner outpost straight ahead. The area has multiple access points, but it is mostly defended by it's rocky outcropping.

Tier 2/3 middle team/backup spawn, AKA the Sniper Tower. Gorge & Seaside teams can spawn here if their spawns are too hot at the moment. Sniper rifle spawns here at Tier 2, as well as the Bomb (he likes to be called Andy). The only way up is to take the gravity lift in the back, so Blargs should have a tough time getting up. 95% of the time, you can jump off from the main platform towards the Control Room without taking fall damage. The other 5% of the time, the damage is minimal.

Overview of Spartan Spawns:

"This must be the Control Room... Subtle.": Yes, the control room. ::twisted:: The front platforms lead to the front doors— where, of course, Andy's gonna come knockin'. Gorgeside platform has a few large ramps to go up, while Seaside is relatively ground level. I've made profuse usage of the natural pieces to give as much reasonable cover as I could to the attacking team. The Large Walkways still have some height so the Blarg spawns have some cover from the sniper.

Elite Seaside Spawn: Starting view of a huge rock (a monument to all of your sins) with the Plasma Launcher resting by it. PL is available Tier 2 onward.

Elite Gorgeside Spawn: Starting view of the gorgeside backdoor, with the Focus Rifle sitting on the platform in front of it.

Elite Middle Spawn: Waaaay in the backedy-back. Nothing for them here, except the Fuel Rod Gun on the small rock directly ahead during Tier 3.

Elite vehicle depot: accessible during Tier 3. Houses the Wraith & the Banshee. Neither of which are good for the Spartans.

Welcome to the Control Room. We hope you enjoy your stay while the Halo Ring destroys all sentient life in the galaxy.

That is, if the Covenant have their way. Completely remodeled the room so that the Kill Ball is above (being little more than aesthetics & a jetpack/possible jumping hazard) Core/Index spawns on the central pedestal. Got the Index? Good. Now GTFO.

... to here, the Core Capture point, complete with Pelican (comes in Tier 3). Added Covenant crate & antenna for some flavor.

There you have it. Please download, playtest, & get me some feedback. I'm feeling pretty good about the map right now. This is your chance to be (constructive) jerks & prove me how wrong I am. ::wink::

(not too harsh, please)
Last edited by Valkyrion on Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Black Knight
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM BlacKnight

Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:08 pm

This has greatly improved!

Once we get a test on this I'm going to consider posting it in some groups I know.

Sig by TuffJuice

Valkyrion
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder

Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:40 pm

Let me know if your posting it elsewhere before actually posting it, Black Knight; I'm not completely comfortable releasing it to the public quite yet. I'm thinking (optimistically) that I'll need one or two more versions before this gets released to a wider public, and I'm also (very, very optimistically) thinking that it'll be Matchmaking-ready in 3-4 versions. But (like I mentioned), that's me being incredibly optimistic.

Glad you like the improvements so far. :)

RJ
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM RJ

Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:23 am

Would you like us to play it in the Forge Friday Mixer with HC tonight? I think we can probably manage a game on it if its at a playable state.
1/3 of the HWM U-Haul Trifecta

[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Valkyrion
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder

Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:20 pm

I'd love it if you could playtest it— hell, I'll be there for the testing, too (I signed up not long before this post). My only concern is that there will be too many players at one time for the gameplay I'm hoping to get. Regardless, it's out there if we want to use it.

Valkyrion
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder

Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:54 am

Just a heads-up: I'm planning on having a quick run-through of my map later today. I'd like to have at least 7 controllers active (players/guests, AFK or otherwise) so I can test spawn systems on the map & see if I can repeat what I call "The Black Knight Incident." It's also a chance for anyone interested to get to have a firsthand run-through of the map.

IDK when I'll be on; maybe within an hour, maybe longer. Anyone who can come & lend a helping hand for the 5-10 minutes I need will have my appreciation.

RJ
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM RJ

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:49 am

I'll try and be there. I've been having network difficulties, but I should be fine for customs.
1/3 of the HWM U-Haul Trifecta

[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Cheeseball
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Cheeseball

Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:19 pm

Just played this with a party of 12 in customs:

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/games ... Cheeseball

I really like the changes you've made, moving the tower forward and having the structure sunk down really helped the flow a lot.

The only thing i didn't like was the amount of "rocky" cluster on the ground to the left of the base (from attackers perspective), it really restricted ground vehicle movement and just made easy bottlenecks for elites to stick them.
Helljumpers Old Guard

Valkyrion
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder

Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:53 am

After taking the initial salvo of feedback, I've updated the map to version 3.5. Major changes include:

*Sealing off the bases of the Tyrant guns, moving the teleporters & territories to the tops of the bases, & sinking the guns into the ground a short ways.
*Removing some rocks/widening some pathways in the Gorgeside "killing field" in Tier 2 to broaden areas for vehicular maneuvering.
*Adjusting rock formations in Tier 1 to open up the Spartan spawn some more while keeping cover in the Elite area to encourage defensive tactics over spawn-killing.
*Replacing the Wraith in Tier 3 with a Ghost (still Tier 3).

Cheeseball, if you still have the game in your recent games, I'd love to have a video of the game (doesn't need rendered, I can DL & watch it on my Xbox). Then I can see the issues that were occurring in the area you mentioned for myself.
Last edited by Valkyrion on Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.