Get in the Hog if you want to live!

RJ
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM RJ

Re: Invasion: Broadcast

Sat May 07, 2011 9:55 am

I'm hoping to do a playtest tonight. Around 8 pm?

Changes:
-moved capture point closer to Spartans spawns
-less cover for short path to core cap, more cover on long path
-Ghost replaces Revenant T2
1/3 of the HWM U-Haul Trifecta

[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Re: Invasion: Broadcast (Testing May 7th @ 8pm EST!)

Sat May 07, 2011 9:58 am

If you do it earlier in the afternoon we might be able to snag a bunch of the euros...
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

RJ
Heroic GP
Heroic GP

Re: Invasion: Broadcast (Please Vote!)

Tue May 24, 2011 5:48 pm

Broadcast has made it to the final round of voting for a forging contest in the Blueprint Group on B.net in the BTB/Invasion category. I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a few seconds and cast your vote! Thanks.

Poll

[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

RJ
Heroic GP
Heroic GP

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:48 pm

Pretty big update. After shelving this project for a couple months, a bunch of people have recently taken a fresh look at Broadcast and some great changes have come out of it. Foremost, we moved the ramp behind the base to exit on the core capture side rather than the other side. The guardhouse and adjacent ramps have also been rebuilt. The ramps and building that allowed the far left elites to move vertically in tiers 2 and 3 have been replaced with rock ramps. This will not have any effect on T1 gameplay. The significant changes should mostly be seen in Tier 3.

Map link and some pictures updated to reflect changes. Look for a post about a map testing session on Thursday.

[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:27 am

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameS ... WM%20Sarge

We got a playtest in tonight with a bunch of forgers and their friends on Broadcast. Essentially, this was a game of randoms. We played the 5-minute tiers rules. Red team got a tier 3 stop, and blue team got a tier 2 and 3 stop. None of the complaints I heard in the game were map-specific. I heard a few complaints about how grenades suck and how Invasion sucks, but other than that, nothing mentioned about things being broken. All-in-all, I'd say it was promising overall.

I noticed from the stats that the people with more experience in Invasion itself did better on the slaying front, so I think it's a good sign that experienced Invasion players can adapt relatively easily to the map.

Some Notes:
-The focus rifle looks like it'll take skill to be really effective on this map
-Revenant is really good at clearing off people on foot near the territories, no matter which team has it
-Laser is extremely important now on Tier 3 for anti-vehicular control
-Middle Elites will need to consider alternative paths if Spartans are looking down blue tunnel.
-Tier 3 is very winnable for defense now

Yozi
Gunner
Gunner
Gamertag: HWM Yozi

Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:54 am

I took a look at the version in RJs fileshare (dated 29th Dec).

The top of the big arch between the territories in T1 doesn't have any soft kill zones (not necessarily a bad thing). I'd bet not a lot of players have tried to get up there during a game yet, so I say we need to start using it in playtests to see just how powerful it is:

I guess it's the equivalent of the DMR ledge on Breakpoint or Alpha perch on Spire, but with a different kind of risk/reward dynamic; it takes longer to get to but offers more of a height advantage. If that height advantage turns out to be too powerful, I'd just reduce the amount of cover at the top of it.

Also, some exploits I found:

The T1-only shield wall by the plasma launcher spawn has a gap on the side of it that can be used to enter T2 prematurely. The nearby peak is also not "killzoned" enough to stop elites from evading over it and, again, enter T2 prematurely (or even spawn kill the alpha defenders).

RJ
Heroic GP
Heroic GP

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:18 am

Thanks Yozi. I didn't think people could get on top of the arch so I didn't put killzones up there, but I will now. That perch is definitely too powerful a position. I will look at the area on the left to see what I can do.

[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Luv Gunn
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Luv Gunn

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:12 am

I had a lot of fun with this most recent playthrough though, I think thats because I was paired up with Jedi and he had a revenant so... :)

Okay, Tier 1 bravo defense I was able to use the DMR and go far left, sit behind a small rock and do some work. Its not too powerful but its there in case anyone else had noticed it being a problem OR if it becomes a problem because I pointed it out. I don't think its too powerful because the spartans have almost no room to push up so I think they should be able to push out.

Tier 2 played very well IMO with the exception of a lot of vehicle highjacking but thats a problem with the proximity needed on the map. No ideas on how to fix that one.

So, there was a hiccup with the core cap platform. I know someone has already added a grid under the water to fix a symptom but the cause was an explosion. Whether it was caused by lag or something else I'm not sure but I was able to destroy a covenant battery that was merged into the core cap as decoration. I did this in game using the falcon turret and I have NOT been able to reproduce it in forge. I'm gonna suggest moving the platform up just a hair or lowering the batteries so this doesn't happen again because, in THEORY, if these maps get into MM they will be played A LOT (to begin with). Although we've only seen this once in our many many playtests the odds of it happening again should be zero not 1:100.

Overall I had a really good time. We were lucky to be successful in our first attack T1 thanks to nice double kill by Mantis' grenade. He did this from the newly opened up middle path, taking out the defending middle spartans. This allowed him to look right into bravo and help team shot with his nerf and his battle buddy helped Jedi and I take the territory. BlacKnight and Able were able to do their jobs and keep Sarge and Yozi busy. It probably will never go so smooth again but thats why we have playtests. I'm really happy with the way this map has played lately and I'm looking forward to getting another go on it!

MrGreenWithAGun
Passenger Wheelman
Passenger Wheelman
Gamertag: MrGreenWithAGun

Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 am

Invader Middle
T1: Did not know at first if I was Middle or Bravo, and just followed BK who was going for the needle rifle. From there I just followed the trail and found myself in a pocket without defenders (Bravo had distracted Bravo Defense to the side, and Middle Defense was setting up I guess at Alpha), so I just jumped into Bravo for a while. My path was obvious and easily maneuvered.
T3: The first three times I rushed too fast and did not use the stair case as cover, or was sniped on approach. Then I began to use the window stair case as a means to time my move by observing the defenders. My first rush for the Core failed and I pulled back under the stair case. The second succeeded and I got it out the door. The window stair case made the engagement very interesting as I could observe the defenders without exposing myself and realized that they would not expose themselves from their positions either. So I just had to wait for them to become distracted or killed.
Defense Middle:
T1: As Middle Team, I was using the large rocks between the two objectives as cover. With the DMR, I stood off in the back on and behind the rocks in the center with good retreat.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:27 pm

I think opening a middle path has helped out immensely on the map, and I continue to love playing the map. Hopefully the grid fixes the core issues that have crept up.

MrGreen pointed out for the Invasion maps in general that it could help to make the maps play better if we could come up with a better way to introduce the core onto the map. Possibly have a coverslip of some sort despawn, but I know the earlier versions that had something like that ended up hindering the basic geometry of the map.

Luv Gunn
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Luv Gunn

Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:20 am

Issues to Update:

Grid doesn't spawn because the spawn time is set to "Never".

Consider moving the Grid so that it doesn't go out into the water so far OR add a Kill Zone to the edge to prevent players from walking off the edge of it to their death.

Weapons may be tweaked after more feedback from MM.