Get in the Hog if you want to live!

Yozi
Gunner
Gunner
Gamertag: HWM Yozi

[Invasion] Boneyard Express

Sun May 08, 2011 3:49 pm

The first tier (or phase) of an Invasion round is the easiest one to get experience in; it is the only tier that has to be played for the round to end and so is innately the most played.

Map intent:
To be able to practice tier 2 & 3 of the standard matchmaking version of Invasion: Boneyard while having to play as little as possible of the first tier.

You think there's an easier way of doing this than messing about with the map?
Spoiler: show
The challenge here lies in "compressing" that first tier while still having it be able to provide all (or at least most) of the possible outcomes that could reasonably happen while transitioning to tier 2 and, perhaps more importantly, without introducing any additional reasonably likely outcomes.

The details of that T1-T2 transition (which player is standing where, facing what, wielding what, etc) needs to be in the hands of the players (whether they decide to duke it out or set up to practice a specific scenario before starting T2), not in the hands of the forger. This might prove a lot easier said than done, I'm not really sure yet...

Changes such as

- simply moving the starting spawn points of fire teams to their respective T2 respawn areas,
- significantly lowering the capture timer of the territories in the ship, or
- moving those territories so that the attacking team spawns inside them

is stuff that would impede the above oh-so-important "organic" process that is supposed to produce the match situation at the start of Tier 2.

TIER 1 MODIFICATIONS

Elite Weapons

Each Elite fire team gets two Needle Rifles (set to never respawn, I'll explain why below) at their new, isolated T1 spawn areas (see pics below). The three standard T1 needle rifles from the matchmaking version still spawn at their original locations, tho I don't remember if they spawn at tier 0, 1 or 2 (not sure when/if they should spawn, honestly... any suggestions?).

The reason I set the new NR's to never respawn is because if they have a respawn time, they'll obviously continue to spawn during the later tiers and could therefore boost player's ammo supplies. It might not seem like a huge deal, but it needs to be avoided IMO. If I were to "gate" them (make them disappear along with the rest of the stuff that gets deleted after T1), any players who picked them up will get their weapon ripped out of their hands by the guardians, and THAT definitely needs to be avoided. (:

Elite Spawns

I put the spawns for Alpha & Bravo teams as high up as possible mostly to stop any attempts at spawnkilling from the defenders. I'm afraid they might be positioned a little too closely to the territories tho. The options are limited here. Some slight tweaking of respawn times and territory capture times might be able to alleviate the issue tho.. but I'd rather it didn't come to that either (wouldn't be strictly compatible with the MM gametype).

(click pics to make huge)
Middle team

Right teleporter goes to Bravo team

Left teleporter goes to Alpha team

While the middle teleporter goes here:

Might need to split this into two teleporters (or just move it) to cut down on travel distances, one for middle stairs approach and another for lobby stairs approach, if not remove it altogether (unlikely). Also need to consider how campable this reciever node is...

Spartan Spawns

As you'll see in the pics below, the starting spawn points of the defending spartans are arbitrarily scattered across the bulkhead in this version of the map, rather than put beside their respective respawn areas. I'm not sure that's a good choice yet, but it might be worth trying out. From the start, the spartans need to be down, but not out... (yet). There still needs to be a fight before the Tier ends, obviously, but the aim is for it to last at most only two, three or maybe four spawn cycles (taking into account the much shorter travel distances between spawn and territory for the attackers).

Two players start as if they're coming fresh off respawn when the game starts, while their battle buddies are closer to the fight:

Alpha defenders are slightly better positioned:

Only other change I've made is fixing the broken hard kill zone in Ambush (the map is based on Boneyard V5 btw, which is the current version that is played in matchmaking).

Now, it's still an untested map (all I've done is made sure the teleporters work and that all the added stuff despawns after T1) and so is in need of some tweaking. The location of all the spawns, for one thing (both initial spawns and respawns), is gonna need some playtesting. Hopefully soon. :P

Thoughts, comments, suggestions? I'll take 'em. ::right::

Download Boneyard Express from Bungie.net

DOM
Legendary Gunner
Legendary Gunner
Gamertag: HWM DOMIN8

Re: [Invasion] Boneyard Express

Sun May 08, 2011 5:06 pm

I like the idea. We dont typically get a lot of practice on T2/T3 defense so this would be a good shortcut but still allow for a little fight to get there...

When does Spire and Breakpoint express drop??? :)
Retired Admin (even though current "leadership" doesn't acknowledge it.)

Black Knight
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM BlacKnight

Sun May 08, 2011 6:13 pm

When we play against a semi-decent group of randoms with no quitters I would be inclined to let them progress to tier 2 or tier 3 so we get more practice in those tiers.

I like the idea behind this map ::thumbs::

Sig by TuffJuice

Yozi
Gunner
Gunner
Gamertag: HWM Yozi

Mon May 09, 2011 6:47 am

HWM DOMIN8 wrote:
When does Spire and Breakpoint express drop??? :)

Good question. :) I think Breakpoint would be next, but I wanna see how this map works out first.

Black Knight wrote:
When we play against a semi-decent group of randoms with no quitters I would be inclined to let them progress to tier 2 or tier 3 so we get more practice in those tiers.

inb4wegetaccusedofstatpadding. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind it terribly myself (if the opponents indeed were at least decent, that'd be nothing but a win-win in my book), but until the playlist population in general ups their competitiveness, that could be a pretty gray area to enter..