Get in the Hog if you want to live!

BUfels
Gamertag: BUfels

Trench Warfare. 4-8 Players

Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:21 am

It's called Trench Warfare, and it really needs testing.
Symetrical map, HAS to be played with the Trench Warfare gametype.
Two teams spawn, both with ARs, evade and low health(sounds fun amirite?). Bear with me.
Two flags on a podium in the middle. It's a stockpile gametype. Two trenches in front of both team's spawn points. When I say trenches, they're just GOW-esque walls.
The idea is to burst fire your AR at the other trench while one of you goes into the middle and brings the two flags into your scoring point. Flags collect and round ends after 2 minutes. 5 rounds. It's based off a paintball game I played, and the ARs are about as accurate over range as a paintball gun.
It's purely a concept, and badly needs testing. Like, really badly. It has the potential to be horrifically unbalanced. It could also be pretty fun. It's made for 4 on 4.

Screenshots:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage

Map: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileD ... yer=BUfels
Gametype: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileD ... yer=BUfels

Update:

Played my actual first game of this today with some RL friends, 2v2. It was surprisingly fun. I had imagined the combat would be people taking pot-shots from the trenches, but it turned out to be way more aggressive. It's awesome. Really fast-paced and tense.
Film:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileD ... yer=BUfels
Not rendered, I'd appreciate it if you downloaded though. It was my first ever game, so I was hopeless at the start, but it gets way better later on as I get more aggressive.

Some known problems:
-Flags score ten seconds before round ends. Don't know how to fix this.
-Red team flags can just be thrown off cliff easily, giving them a disadvantage. There must be a way to fix this, I just can't think of any.

Does anyone want to get together to test this out a bit?
Last edited by BUfels on Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

From the cradle to the grave, it has been a walk of shame.

Jaime Lannister and La Dispute fanboy.

crunchUK
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: a3ec

Re: BUfels made a map!

Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:10 pm

Sounds... interesting. But if you put in a layer of rocks all across the map then you could have real trenches. And it would look more awesome and no mans landy.

BUfels

Re: BUfels made a map!

Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:15 pm

Update.
Played my actual first game of this today with some RL friends. It was surprisingly fun. I had imagined the combat would be people taking pot-shots from the trenches, but it turned out to be way more aggressive. It's awesome. Really fast-paced and tense.
Film: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileD ... yer=BUfels
Not rendered, I'd appreciate it if you downloaded though. It was my first ever game, so I was hopeless at the start, but it gets way better later on as I get more aggressive.

Some known problems:
-Flags score ten seconds before round ends. Don't know how to fix this.
-Red team flags can just be thrown off cliff easily, giving them a disadvantage. There must be a way to fix this, I just can't think of any.

Does anyone want to get together to test this out a bit?

Houdini
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HouAmI

Re: Trench Warfare. 4-8 Players

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:41 am

Like Crunch said,
crunchUK wrote:
if you put in a layer of rocks all across the map then you could have real trenches. And it would look more awesome and no mans landy.

I'm not saying yours doesn't sound fun, the gametype does seem quite interesting and the map in my opinion does seem like the right size and layout. But with some more rocks it could be a showstopper. That's just what I think.
MIA 2010 Spartans Never Die
BerserkerBarage
Ice Devil 13

BUfels

Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:28 am

Little Houdini wrote:
Like Crunch said,
crunchUK wrote:
if you put in a layer of rocks all across the map then you could have real trenches. And it would look more awesome and no mans landy.

I'm not saying yours doesn't sound fun, the gametype does seem quite interesting and the map in my opinion does seem like the right size and layout. But with some more rocks it could be a showstopper. That's just what I think.

I get what you're saying completely, and that probably would make the gametype better asthetically.
However, the couple of games I played on it turned out to not really include the "trenches" themselves as much as I'd first thought they would.
I might try that idea though, see how it works. Would probably give it a better look.

Wheels36
Heroic Wheelman
Heroic Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Wheels

Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:39 pm

As for throwing flags off cliffs, you dont want to build a rock wall at the cliff?

I have a fix for the 'flags capture 10 seconds before round ends'. Set the capture plate to spawn at start FALSE and spawn time to 9 seconds. The capture plates actually spawn when the game loads, when you are stuck in loadout screen. This takes 10 seconds, so when the round timer starts, your capture timer is already down 10 seconds.

BUfels

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:36 am

Wheels36 wrote:
As for throwing flags off cliffs, you dont want to build a rock wall at the cliff?

I have a fix for the 'flags capture 10 seconds before round ends'. Set the capture plate to spawn at start FALSE and spawn time to 9 seconds. The capture plates actually spawn when the game loads, when you are stuck in loadout screen. This takes 10 seconds, so when the round timer starts, your capture timer is already down 10 seconds.

Thanks for the help.
I tried the second option, but it spawns anyway. Am I missing something? Do you need to change the gametype or anything? Literally, I set it to FALSE and 9 seconds, but it's always there during loadout screen.

Wheels36
Heroic Wheelman
Heroic Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Wheels

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:18 pm

I don't know dude. Add me on xbox live and i'll help you out. My map i'm working on now had the same issue but i fixed it.