Yozi
Gunner
Gunner
Gamertag: HWM Yozi

Re: Hogshore 2.5 playtesting

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:34 am

Map is in my file share. There is a direct link in the OP. ::wink::

H3WM RJ wrote:
Basically, just more small cover around the map so BR fights are more interesting

I see your point. But I'm also trying to strike a balance between that and space for driving.

H3WM RJ wrote:
Also, offense base is a lot more open for hogging b/c of all of the new territory whereas deffense is pretty much the same with different ways up top

I think I see your point here as well, but I have no idea on how to solve that. It's an asymmetric map, and forging it into perfect symmetry just can't be done. I like to look towards Last Resort as some kind of proof that slayer can work decently on asymmetric maps.

Kobe wrote:
sorry guys wish i coulda played 12 GMT unfortunately means 2 pm for me im pretty sure and thats when i end school

Hopefully we'll do it again on a different time next week.

Jonesy
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: l Jonesy I

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:42 am

Guass hog on 1sided gametype?
I know i haven't playtested this, so my comments may be not so accurate. But to me that seems way overpowered.

Guasshogs are extremely overpowered most people will agree, and having them on a map where the only proper antihog weapon is rockets seems a little odd. But then to give only 1 side the hog seems borderline ridiculous.
Don't take life too seriously, or you'll never get out alive

Yozi
Gunner
Gunner

Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:01 pm

Yes, I've been thinking ever since I put that gauss in that the defence side might be overpowered, and I still think it is. But then again you can look at the Last Resort/Zanzibar reference; it's not Standoff you're driving on.. this a HARD map to drive on. Even with all the added space, there's so much elevation on the map (except for the docks/taco shack) that you'll have a hard time not being shot from multiple angles when in enemy territory. And I'm still largely undecided on how offence is supposed to counter that gauss, (aside from rockets).. got any ideas, Jonesy? Put in another Gauss for offence to use?

Also, a question for everyone:

DOES IT NEED MORE VEHICLES?

One of Duce's first impressions was that he thought there'd be more hogs, or at least some mongooses or a ghost. So I'm not asking necessarily what vehicles you think fits the map in its current state, but what vehicles COULD fit?

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:15 pm

I think gooses would be nice. I could run a needler goose then. I don't think the map needs ghosts anymore. It's already annoying enough not to get killed by hogs on such a tight map. We don't need ghosts running around, too (especially since the map doesn't have locked spawns). Perhaps a neutral ghost at the most. Definitely could use some gooses, though.
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

Jonesy
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: l Jonesy I

Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:34 pm

Yozi wrote:
Also, a question for everyone:

DOES IT NEED MORE VEHICLES?

Not really, I hate to be more negative. But the fact that you've put so much effort into trying to make it hog/vehicle friendly highlights the fact that it is not a vehicle friendly map.

As you said, with all the heights, and that 50% of the map is based inside buildings limits the affect vehicles have. I know you've tried very hard, and you've made a pretty awesome map. But like Last Resort, Longshore wasn't created with vehicles in mind.

Comments are always great but please refrain from direct criticism until you've played the map. -HM
Don't take life too seriously, or you'll never get out alive

Yozi
Gunner
Gunner

Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:46 pm

@Jonesy: Point taken. Still, you should play the map, if only to reinforce your opinion. Personally I do not think it needs more vehicles (except maybe a goose), but it's an important question that I want everone's opinion on... and ways to implement them.

@Sarge: There was a goose in Yellow hall at one point.. don't remember why I removed it. Actually, in 1-flag it could be of great use!

Wheels36
Heroic Wheelman
Heroic Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Wheels

Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:53 am

Whens the next custom game on this map? I'm looking forward to playing it. When is the next customs night regardless. I'm ready for some shenanigans with you guys.

Yozi
Gunner
Gunner

Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:00 am

Haven't made any changes to the map yet, but I might make a few until we start this: tomorrow (friday) I'm thinking we could play a few games.

8pm GMT - for the euros, everyone is welcome tho

AND

8pm EST (too early? if someone else took "the lead" on this, you could have it later) - for the uhmericanz, everyone is welcome tho

I'm splitting it like this in an attempt to reduce lag. Who's interested?

DOM
Legendary Gunner
Legendary Gunner
Gamertag: HWM DOMIN8

Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:00 am

I actually don't work tomorrow, so I would be interested in this for sure. Not to mention maybe a few more custom maps. We should throw together an impromtu Customs Night for tomorrow.
Retired Admin (even though current "leadership" doesn't acknowledge it.)

Yozi
Gunner
Gunner

Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:15 pm

Sorry Dom and whoever else wanted to play.. on friday I got the chance to meet a close friend of mine who I haven't seen for almost a year (he's in the navy) so that's why I wasn't online. :|

Anyway, if there's enough interest, I say next friday is customs night. First map, Hogshore.

The best and the worst performing player on the winning team could get to decide what we play next, or something like that. ::idea::

Wheels36
Heroic Wheelman
Heroic Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Wheels

Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:43 am

i'm off work friday count me in