Get in the Hog if you want to live!

PirateSolo
'11 HogOff Runner Up - Driver
Gamertag: PirateSolo

Samurai Valet

Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:17 am

Let me introduce this map to you by explaining my mindset when I made it. I had just come off a weekend of playing maptionsac. After seeing how the community views the warthog and playing with random people I came up with a fiew ideas. I realized that when making maps you don't need every weapon in the book. It seemed that alot of times there was a lot of weapons on a map that were unneccasary, a missel pod on a map with no major vehicles. Other times there were marginal weapons, warthogs with not a misselpod or laser in sight. Yet the map was fun and competitive. Also, I had my eyes opened to how 3 dimentional a map could really be. I realized that by cutting the map in half, by building things like a bridge, you can take the dominance of the warthog away.
::panic::
So with these things in mind I set out to put a parking deck on a map. I thought that if a warthog had to travel up and down 3 stories to get to the other side of the map, that it would be unnecessary to make the game about laser control. After making this large garage I could'nt help but think of the movie Tokyo Drift and the way they raced up to the top. With this structure looking so hideous I wanted to make up for it and build beautiful bases. I used Japanese architecture to come up with a driveable yet safe place to spawn. And to finish the map I use shield doors and kill balls to insure a difficult passage for warthogs to get to the enemy base. If anything I wanted this map to reward skillful and creative drivers, not those guys who just park the hog out on the sanddunes allowing the gunners to get respawn kills unharmed. So here is the map, and as always your feedback helps me make maps better. My ultimate goal it to make a map considered the MLG of warthog maps.
http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=106354265

Wepons
Image x 1
Imagex 1
Image x 4
Image x 2
Imagex 2
Image x 2

Vehicles
Image x 2 repawn 90

Equipment
bubble shield x 2 respawn 60
grav lift x 2 respawn 60

You can actually get on top of the base with out a grav lift. Just jump on the ball of light. Also you can't snipe through the balls of light.

Warthog spawn behind the base, yet there is room for it to pass under the base.

Behind that ramp is the bruteshot spawn.

Quarter walls were put in the floor for safe passage behind cover to the lower level of the base.

Sub structures infront of bases for extra cover during safe spawns

An outside view of the parking deck shows the heighth of this monstrosity.

The bottom level of the base shows the warthog entrance with ramp to second level. Plasma pistol and plasma nade spawn in the corner and an elevator takes you to the top floor. (its actually two way sender nodes) Notice there is a wall seperating the bases so no direct fire comes from the start of the game on the ground floor

Level 2 shows the ramps coming from both sides of the map from levels 1 and towards levels 3. The barriers are in place to force warthogs to travel to the third floor and to keep them from jumping the wall to the enemy side. A single sniper riffle spawns in the center of this level.

An open floor for the warthogs to drive on level 3. Two way nodes on both sides of the floor for each team to teleport a quick start towards rockets in the center.

An ariel view of the top deck shows the potential of high spots for snipers to get to. But not to worry, most spawns are under cover.

Though I am not fond of the use of shield doors, with a lack of objects left and a dwindling budget, they were a must to slow the speed of warthog travel to the opposite side of the map.

Elite C 56
Passenger Wheelman
Passenger Wheelman
Gamertag: elite c 56

Re: Samurai Valet

Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:39 am

this looks awesome nice work dude ::thumbs::

Yozi
Gunner
Gunner
Gamertag: HWM Yozi

Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:24 pm

I'm itching to take a look at this when my 360 gets back from repair. Not sure about the rest of the map (won't say anything until I've checked it out in customs/forge), but I like the idea of the parking garage as a central structure and vehicular chokepoint. It definitely has potential to produce great (not to mention different) gameplay.

Black Knight
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM BlacKnight

Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:55 pm

This is how all map threads should look like :D
I'm not sure if there is enough cover between the bases and middle structure seems pretty bare but I love the desgin of the front of each base.

Good work ::thumbs::

Sig by TuffJuice

PirateSolo

Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:23 pm

Black Knight wrote:
This is how all map threads should look like :D
I'm not sure if there is enough cover between the bases and middle structure seems pretty bare but I love the desgin of the front of each base.

Good work ::thumbs::

Thanks man! To be honest I agree with what your saying but I ran out of objects before I ran out of money. I was originally thinking about putting a water fountain infront of each base to give more cover and more personality. What if I were to take the top level off and just have a 2 level parkig deck. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Black Knight
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM BlacKnight

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:47 am

Sandbox has a glitch which means when you delete the default items on "Sandbox" the map still thinks their in use.
Which is why you need to use a stacked canvas map. That's probably why you ran out of objects.
You can't fix it without making the map from scratch :(

Same thing happened to me with my first Haven map and I had to rebuild it all to make improvements.

Sig by TuffJuice

PirateSolo

Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:16 pm

OK so I made a few changes and hopefully it improved the map. I took off the top level. Moved sniper riffles to the basement. Put my fountain idea in, with overshields on top. added more cover to the sides, with 2 extra plasma pistols. Then added a dozen more spawn points.

http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=106767558

Wepons
Image x 1
Imagex 2
Image x 4
Image x 2
Imagex 4
Image x 2

Vehicles
Image x 2 repawn 90

Equipment
bubble shield x 2 respawn 60
grav lift x 2 respawn 60
overshield x2 respawn 180

Icebird
Double Mythic
Double Mythic
Gamertag: HWM ICEBIRD

Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:19 am

piratesolo wrote:
this is the start of Lent, the 40 days and 40 nights before Easter. Well this year I am giving up one of the hardest things for me to do today, ::panic:: video games. ::panic::
(emphasis added by Pirate's favorite gaming buddy...)

piratesolo wrote:
I will ATTEMPT to only use my XBOX 360 to watch netflix or play DVDs.

So you used your jedi mind powers to update the map and take all the screenshots without using your Halo disk? Impressive! ::lol::

(I will admit though, it does look pretty cool. I'll check it out next time I have my Halo disk in)
~ HWM ICEBIRD ~
~ 117 Consecutive Weekly Challenges Completed in Halo: Reach ~
~ 2010 & 2011 Hogoff First Loser ~

Check out HWM ICEBIRD'S Halo Videos!

PirateSolo

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:06 pm

We have tested the going around the gaurdians idea thuroughly. Its virtually impossible. Not saying it can't be done, just that if there's a 99% chance of not making it, why waste the hog.
This map is designed for MLDrivers. A true hog team will have a teammate strategically place a grav lift in a spot where both he can get to the top for the rocket rush, and the hog can "jump the fence". I wanted a map where it was difficult to run the hog, but not impossible. If a hog driver finds that going through the parking garage less ideal, they can always get out pick up their own grav lift. and place where they need to jump over just as well. I also wanted to take the idea of camping the hog on the sand dunes for respawn killng away. Thus the spawns are all over the place.

I am constantly updating the map and have changed a few things already. I will not be posting version 3 because its only being modified till I get it right. Thanks to BK's advise, I will then remake the entire map starting from a stacked version instead of a canvas version, in hopes of a cleaner map with more objects left over at the end as I ran out of objects befor I ran out of money. I would rather build a great wall of China out in the sand dunes as apposed to having shield doors and kill balls to prevent the hog from driving around. I will then post this version 4 in a new thread. Please keep the advise coming as I am trying to make this map reach its full potential.

Do you think that if the basement of the garage was open for ground pounders yet closed for hog passage, that it might make game play more smooth?