Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Re: Sensitivity regarding the hog

Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:40 pm

Alright. I'm going to end this stupid flame war we're having by just doing what we're all yelling at each other about. Here is a video of my testing the changes in sensitivity on the Warthog:

HypothesisThe Warthog turret's lateral movement is not affected by changes in player sensitivity, but vertical movement is affected by player sensitivity.

ProceduresFirst: I started on my normal sensitivity of 3. I spun around, looked up and down so you could get an idea of what it looks like, then I got in the Warthog and spun the turret around once, looked up and down a few times, then spun around again.

Next, I changed my sensitivity to 1, spun around once, looked up and down twice, and then spun around again. Then I got in the Warthog turret again and repeated the same actions (spun around once, looked up and down twice, and then spun around again). I then exited the turret.

I now upped my sensitivity to 10. I spun around twice and looked up and down through the second turn. I then look up and down a few times, then spin around a few times again (for effect). I now get in the Warthog and spin the turret once to the left, then back to the right, then back to the left again. I then move the turret up and down 3-4 times and then spin the turret around one more time.

Finally, I hop out, change my sensitivity back to 3, move the reticle a bit, then get in the hog and spin the turret twice more.

The Test

ConclusionLateral movement of the Warthog Turret is not affect by the player's sensitivity. However, as you will note that the vertical sensitivity changed whenever I changed my sensitivity.
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

RJ
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM RJ

Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:40 pm

Hello Wheelmen,
Look at your sensitivity, now look at mine, back to yours, now back to mine. Notice they are different! Look up, back down, we're both in warthogs fighting each other!Back to your sensitivity, now mine. Look! They're still different! Look right, back to our hog fight, we're both spinning at the same rate! Look left, back to me, what is this? Sarge has conducted a scientific test and proved it! Anything is possible when you stop flaming each other.

I'm lasering both your hogs.
1/3 of the HWM U-Haul Trifecta

[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

DOM
Legendary Gunner
Legendary Gunner
Gamertag: HWM DOMIN8

Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:44 pm

lol.... ::bump::

did you guys time those posts or what...? :)

Sorta. He was there when I made the vid (he's the guy lasering the hog at the end, and he sat in the lobby as I typed this up. ~Sarge
Retired Admin (even though current "leadership" doesn't acknowledge it.)

HWM Jedi
Wheelman
Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Jedi

Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:02 am

Interesting idea here...you all keep talking about lateral (horizontal) and vertical movement like you can only do one at a time...when most of the time that I gun on Standoff I end up moving the turret crosshairs diagonally.

Could just be me, but maybe since diagonal is a mix of horizontal (not affected) and vertical (definitely affected) vectors, maybe when you shift your aim diagonally, you actually do move faster...hmmmmmm...

Perhaps another test is in order?

PS- Thank you, Sarge, for injecting sense into this thread...

ConsumedFever wrote:
LIES!!!!!!

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:05 am

You'll note in the video, Jedi, that while on 10 I do move the turret left for a bit while going up and down. It doesn't speed it up any.
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

Van Hengel
Nothing Special
Nothing Special
Gamertag: Van Hengel
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands, Europe (4000 miles East of America)

Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:27 am

Hehehe, you're my kind of man Sarge. Impeccable research there.

Science works people, it destroys all BS all the time and is the only path to truth. Amen.
Official Resident Physics Expert and Male Model

LouieBlack wrote:
I want to be.. behind him... inside him, If you know what I mean.

BUfels
Gamertag: BUfels

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:06 am

Van Hengel wrote:
Hehehe, you're my kind of man Sarge. Impeccable research there.

Science works people, it destroys all BS all the time and is the only path to truth. Amen.

"Pfft, you and your precious science. Did science take man to the moon?"
"Yes, actually. Yes it did."

<3 The Simpsons.

From the cradle to the grave, it has been a walk of shame.

Jaime Lannister and La Dispute fanboy.

Capt Fiddler
Passenger Gunner
Passenger Gunner
Gamertag: Capt Fiddler

Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:07 pm

The first law of reason is this: what exists, exists; what is, is; and from this irreducible bedrock principle, all knowledge is built. It is the foundation from which life is embraced.

Thinking is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts nor are they a means to discover them. Reason is our only way of grasping reality; it is our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss that we refuse to see. Faith and feelings are the darkness to reason's light. In rejecting reason, refusing to think, one embraces death.

Faith is a device of self-delusion, a sleight of hand done with words and emotions founded on any irrational notion that can be dreamed up. Faith is the attempt to coerce truth to surrender to whim. In simple terms, it is trying to breathe life into a lie by trying to outshine reality with the beauty of wishes. Faith is the refuge of fools, the ignorant, and the deluded, not of thinking, rational men.

Nice job bringing Wizard's Sixth Rule into this. ~Sarge
Back on topic guys ~HM
I buy books like some people buy shoes.

Black Knight
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM BlacKnight

Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:30 am

Deaf Smith wrote:
If you let go of the trigger to turn the turret, it swings around much faster. IDK if this is/was tested.

Another common myth. Shooting while turning is just as fast as not shooting while turning. Therefore the rotational speed is the same. I could upload a clip for this but don't feel like wasting a render minute.

Rendered Video

Sig by TuffJuice

oo5
Passenger Wheelman
Passenger Wheelman
Gamertag: oo5

Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:01 pm

Great video Sarge, reminds me of a poor vid, in regards to pulse firing. One thought i've had for a while. Does a moving turret effect the random bullet spread? ie can you rake your fire from face to toes to face and have more shots hit? Hmmm, wanta make another video (my cap card does not like win7)?
Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil