Heroic Wheelman
Heroic Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Wheels

Phantom stuck on Lost Platoon!

Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:16 am

When Phantoms Get Stuck

Vid-
Spoiler: show

Yesterday we experienced something that could have ended badly and want to give a heads up to anyone playing on this map.

My newfound firefight buddy Dadiola and I were trying to help TCG Darkflame and Insaneshaner get their Endure achievement on Lost Platoon. Everything was going great until the last wave. (where have I heard this before lol)

We had like 19 spare lives and a surplus of choppers when the 60th and final wave arrived. We converged on one phantom and cleared all of it then turned to go to the other phantom spawn.......only to find the phantom still there! It turns out, that during the rest of the round, I lasered 3 wraiths at the back spawn and they were all stacked on top of each other. Well, this phantom comes in with another wraith at that EXACT spot and tries to land and gets stuck. Now we got a totem pole of 4 wraiths with a phantom stuck on top. We were like 'you gotta be pooping me, all we need is this for the achievement'. To make matters worse, I only had 30 mins left before work. So we get to work trying to fix the glitch.

First we take out the plasma turrets and front gun for safety concerns. Then we actually manage to kill the gunner of the wraith, even thought the wraith is invulnerable until it drops. We also snipe all the grunts out of the hangar of the phantom (didnt know this was possible but we did). Now all thats left is a phantom with 2 hammer chieftans and a gunnerless wraith sitting on a mountain of other dead wraiths. We begin ramming the pile of wraiths with all we got, waste the rest of laser ammo on it, go around and find stickies and fuel rods to shoot at it. Nothing works. At some point we manage to get the phantom to start tipping. We actually get the nose to touch the ground with it at a 45 degree angle. Then we start boosting into the nose with the chopper trying to get it the phantom to spin around.

We keep doing stuff like this for 30 minutes and were almost down to 10 lives remaining from betrayals at boosting in such close quarters. The time came, and I had to leave for work. I couldn't leave the guys hanging, so I left my xbox running and went and stood under the stairs at warthog spawn in case they finally got it unstuck. I didnt think there was a chance in hell they would.

So, I get back from work last night and I go to check game stats on bungie. Turns out they got to the 2nd round of the 5th set. I sent a message to Dadiola and he said he had to go afk at some point too. When he came back they were somewhere in round 5 with ppl fighting all around him. He asked what they did and they told him they found a fuel rod with ONE shot left in it and shot the heap of metal somewhere and the phantom came unstuck. I find it hard to believe because I scoured the map for more fuel rod ammo and used it all on the phantom before. I will have to review the video of this game and take some clips lol.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/ODSTg.aspx? ... r=wheels36

So moral of this story, while it is easier and funny to shoot new wraiths when they drop on the wreckage of old ones, don't do it! If you kill 3 in exactly the same spot, if a 4th one drops it will get stuck! You have been warned!

Embedded for your viewing pleasure -HM
Last edited by Wheels36 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:17 am, edited 4 times in total.

LockeGenRedux
Apprentice Wheelman
Apprentice Wheelman

Re: Phantom stuck on Lost Platoon!

Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:38 pm

Thats crazy man. I cant belive that it got stuck like that. Cool, But very odd.

So, You DID get Endure right?

"Spartan Kilo-Zero-Nine ready to drop, sir." -LockeGenRedux

298 games of the Halo Reach Beta, 2 Reviews of said Review, and All Armor Unlocked, with the exception of two Mark V [B] shoulder pads.

Prime
Heroic Ground Pounder
Heroic Ground Pounder
Gamertag: test

Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:55 pm

When my party went for Endure we all made sure the wraiths had time to move then laser it.

Jonesy
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: l Jonesy I

Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:10 pm

We got a phantom stuck... but it was different. Our phatom was nowhere near the "drop-off" point, it was between the drop-off and the big wall. Just hanging there with a wraith underneath it..

We didn't actually do anything to it, after 5mins it just unstuck itself randomly :shrug:
Don't take life too seriously, or you'll never get out alive

Wheels36
Heroic Wheelman
Heroic Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Wheels

Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:16 am

After nearly a year, here is the video lol.

When Phantoms Get Stuck