Get in the Hog if you want to live!

LordDonny
Wheelman
Wheelman
Gamertag: Lord Donny

Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition

Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:01 am

hmmmmmm! Dat size.

Really looking forward to seeing how they deal with the changing game environment due to your actions. I hope the defend your keep/ defend the village is a constant thing (with differing circumstances) so that you can't always keep everything perfect and have to make sacrifices. Rather than just a 1-2 off event that doesn't have any long term effects on the game which tends to be an easy fallback for the producers when they start to talk about 'game options'.

HWM Jedi
Wheelman
Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Jedi

Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:56 am

I've seen game devs say this before...for example, the first Mass Effect game. One of the trailers says "Many decisions lie ahead of you...none of them easy." and that was a large foundation for the game, making choices with tremendous impact. The only real "choice" was who dies, Kaiden or Ashley. Everything else in the game can be achieved no matter how you play except for one mission for pure Paragon, one for pure Renegade...so I guess there are two choices, but only one with any far reaching consequences to future gameplay. Otherwise, all the remaining serious choices don't effect gameplay because they don't really change anything until the next game.

This sounds like there will actually be common gameplay decisions which could greatly effect future gameplay. Obviously, losing a keep will weaken your strategic and military options, as a safe haven from which to defend/attack is no longer present. However, losing the village will probably have equally devastating effects (don't know what the gameplay effects would be, but lower resources to maintain keeps with, lower morale overall as a demonic invasion approaches, party members leaving due to your willingness to let thousands of peasants die, etc. could be reasonable expectations). It will be interesting to see what they do with this...

ConsumedFever wrote:
LIES!!!!!!

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman
Title: Retired Admin
Gamertag: HWM Sarge
Tumblr: bengiyo

Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:50 am

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09 ... ragon-age/

Interview with Laidlaw about making your race more significant along with other stuff.
1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

Slagathor

Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:58 pm

I'm rooting for the Templars, where does everyone else stand for their first play through?

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:31 am

BioWare posted something about the Dragon Age Keep. http://blog.bioware.com/2013/08/28/the-dragon-age-keep/

Basically, it's a cloud solution to the import problem. We will use this utility to tweak our histories as much as we want and send that down into Dragon Age Inquisition. It will have a logic utility tool built into it to prevent plot contradictions and bugs like those that have plagued the franchise for a long time. More details to come, but you can sign up for the beta, which I of course did.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:59 am

Just about a month away...

il Duce
Mythic Wheelman
Mythic Wheelman
Title: Drinking Coach
Gamertag: HWM il Duce

Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:36 pm

Kotaku Article quoted here

Kotaku wrote:
BioWare, the veteran RPG studio today best known for making Mass Effect and Dragon Age, has long been the king of awkward video game sex scenes.

As writer Tom Bissell put it back in 2012 after Mass Effect 3 came out: "BioWare's talented storytellers desperately need to rethink their curious devotion to the video-game sex scene, gay or otherwise, which, even at its best, remains as polygonally unconvincing as digital representation gets." Yep. Pretty much.

So it is with great amusement we can look at the recently-released ESRB rating for the upcoming Dragon Age: Inquisition, which is out November 18, and just try to imagine what this will look like in-game:

The game includes some sexual material: a female character briefly depicted in front of a man's torso (fellatio is implied); characters depicted topless or with exposed buttocks while lying in bed or after sex; some dialogue referencing sex/sexuality (e.g., "'I will bring myself sexual pleasure later, while thinking about this with great respect'" and "The way your t*ts bounce when I pin your arms and take you on the side of the bed…"). The words "f**k," "sh*t," and "a*shole" appear in dialogue.

Now, to spend the next four weeks trying to envision the context in which a Dragon Age: Inquisition character says, "I will bring myself sexual pleasure later, while thinking about this with great respect."

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:17 am

Yes.

This is BioWare.

I am pleased.

Panda
Heroic GP
Heroic GP
Gamertag: HWM Trash Panda

Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:44 am

The bioware writers are wordsmiths when in comes to sexy talk.

OboeCrazy
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: OboeCrazy

Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:56 pm

I will forever cherish my Garrus head touch....and sexy cuddle time...as THE BEST BIOWARE CAN DO.

Romance is hard, yo.
This sig available for rent.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:34 pm

The Dragon Age Keep is public now. Go to it and build your histories. Make sure your Origin accounts are linked to your gamertags or you won't be able to import them into Dragon Age Inquisition.

Here's an example of what the visual replay of a history looks like.

I am losing it. I've got two of my histories built and ready to go.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:45 am

MOAR TRAILERS?

ACTIVATE YOUR HYPE THRUSTERS

Mage!Hawke at 1:41

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:19 am

Polygon gave DA:I a 9.5

DRAGON AGE: INQUISITION IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST GAMES I'VE EVER PLAYED, AND I STILL WANT MORE

This is the astounding scope I referred to above. It's no longer as simple as how your choices affect your small band of adventurers — though that can vary quite a lot as well. Dragon Age: Inquisition puts the fate of the world in your hands in a way that few role-playing games have done before. And even after another 80 hours devoted to it, it's a world I cannot wait to return to in whatever BioWare does next. I don't know what higher praise I could give.

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:05 pm

Sarge
Wheelman
Wheelman

Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:18 pm

Kotakus has posted a really great Beginner's Guide to Dragon Age.

I know a lot of people don't like reading extensive stuff, but Dragon Age is a huge world and I think Inquisition is going to scratch an RPG itch people have talked about for years. Dragon Age (and BioWare in general) make games that are more than simply about hitting things and getting better weapons. They're interactive experiences that rely heavily on Conversation, Conflicts, and Companions.

Everyone should go to the Dragon Age Keep before playing Inquisition, whether you're played the series or not.

I'll try to keep it as simple as possible here though.

Dragon Age is set in the world of Thedas. You have all your basic fantasy stuff you'll recognize from Tolkein, heroic fantasy, Game of Thrones, etc.

Major races:

Humans: Influence and control most of the continent. Cause lots of problems.
Dwarves: Short people who live under ground. Build cool shit.
Elves: Pointy ears, thin frame, magic and archery. Used to be awesome. Get shit on by everyone.
Qunari: Militaristic race of tall, muscular horned people. Have their own religion.
Darkspawn: Orcs, basically. Zombies Pineappling up everything. Live under ground most of the time.

Major nations:

Ferelden: Basically Medieval England. They like dogs. Dragon Age: Origins took place here.
Orlais: Basically France/Holy Roman Empire. French accents. Lots of intrigue.
Tevinter Imperium: Land ruled by mages. Used to basically be Roman Empire. Slavery and everything.
Dalish Elves: Elves used to be badass, then got PINEAPPLE, were given a new homeland. stolen from them, now they roam around as nomads

Major Religions:

The Chantry: Think of this as the Medieval Catholic Church. Andraste was a woman (kinda like Jesus Christ) who took down the Tevinter Imperium. Was martyred. Church formed around her. The Chant of LIght is basically the bible. They watch over and control mages.
The Qun: The Qunari follow the Qun. Rigid roles in their society

Other Factions:

Circle of Magi: The Chantry puts mages in the Circle of Magi because mages can easily be possessed by demons and Pineapple everything up.
The Grey Wardens: They have survived drinking darkspawn blood, can sense them, and stay on watch in case some shit goes down.

Summary of previous games:

Dragon Age Origins: In Ferelden. Darkspawn have awoken an Archdemon. All hell si breaking loose. The king has got forces together to take this down, but they are betrayed. You and a surviving Grey Warden have to unite the land to take down the archdemon. You succeed.

This intro actually explains the darkspawn threat really well:

Dragon Age 2: You play as a Ferelden refugee living in a nearby independent city-state called Kirkwall. You spend the entire game just trying to make a living, but the Qunari are Pineappling things up, and then the mages and Templars go to war. Everyone wants you to fix everything, but no one will listen to you.

Where are we now?

The mages and Templars got together to hopefully end this civil war. An explosion happens and a rift opens up to the fade. Demons are coming through. You survive and can close these demon portals. Some people rally to you and now you need to fix everything.