Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:26 am

1/2 of the BR Leech Octagon Hall of Fame

Thee MC
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM MC

Re: Xbox Scorpio

Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:27 pm

I like it, to be honest. I think eventually there will have to still be console generations, but in that meantime period it means two things that are significant:

1. Console gamers won't have to feel like they are playing graphically "shittier" watered-down versions of games. If you are truly invested in having the best visual experience and enjoy the simplicity of consoles, then you can upgrade your system and have both. Those that don't mind toned-down graphics aren't forced to upgrade to a new console just to make visual improvements. GTA IV is an excellent example of this - both games are completely playable on 360 and Xbox One, however, stripped of a few features. And the only reason that features were stripped as opposed to graphics is because we weren't in this generation or mindset of having the opportunity to develop for a stronger system that could cross-play with an older system. Many games run at the same core and same engine - 10-year-old PCs are capable of playing new games, but at much lower visual settings. I like the idea of bridging this gap - making consoles and their games have greater longevity while not stifling graphical innovations for the many gamers that this is important to.
  2. Ties very much into 1, but our consoles and games are going to last longer. [Hopefully] All games will be cross-play compatible, offering the same core experience with differing graphic fidelity. It will be nice to be able to play a game with people on their Xbox Ones, even though I upgraded to a Scorpio (if I decide to do so).

I wonder how long they can make this stretch - it most certainly will get to a point where games will have to start specifying which consoles can support it. Let's say we have two iterations after Scorpio, let's call them Sagittarius and Taurus. It must get to a point where the game can only be scaled, even just graphically, so far where it would only be able to be played on Taurus, Sagittarius, and Scorpio (not Xbox One compatible). And my only hope and concern is that it doesn't stifle innovation beyond scaling resolutions and graphics settings for developers (e.g., not upgrading engines with the fear of breaking Scorpio compatibility). I could definitely see developers looking at statistics of console use and saying, "Well, we're up to Xbox Taurus but 60% of players are still on Xbox One, so we have to make sure we can scale it down to that." There has to be a point where either features or total compatibility will have to be cut. I'm interested to see where Microsoft, developers, and publishers draw that line. While graphics are definitely a consideration to me, a large part of me upgrading my console is the hope for more expansive worlds, impressive physics engines, and just overall an innovative experience that we can feel, but not necessarily have to see. So if I know the only difference I will have is lower graphics settings, how long am I going to put off getting a console? How about everyone else? Long enough where expanding and making more sophistcated engines will break on consoles even at the lowest graphics settings? Only time will tell!

I do like that Microsoft is being brave and is pioneering it. Gamers and finicky, and they are definitely blurring the lines between PC and console in a way that not even Sony did with PS Pro.