Get in the Hog if you want to live!

Cheeseball
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: HWM Cheeseball

My thoughts on the new CoD

Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:40 am

Ok, in spite of or despite all the hype/criticism this new game has gotten, allow me to entertain you all with my thoughts on this new game (yes, a new thread is warranted since i think this is going to be a long, thought out OP)

Let me first start out by saying i was with many of my fellow gamers, i was very reserved about getting this game (well, i still haven't personally bought it yet, but i'll get there soon enough) due to this blessing called Reach that Bungie has laid upon us, AND the fact that this new game in the series is of the Treyarch variety.

A True Multiplayer Experience?
-Anyways, into the game. If any of you don't know, i don't really screw around with campaign or play much in any game (I'm not much of an achievement whore nor do i care very much about gamerscore). First thing I do is go into multiplayer; so i was able to get right into a game playing with my little brother, and right away i was happy they included the ability for multiplayer splitscreen. Later i found out you could play with GUESTS as well! Points to Treyarch for this. With my only previous CoD experience being MW2, (CoD4 guys gonna H8) i was able to go positive in my first game with just the preset classes (yay noobs? Or am i just a boss??). This game feels fairly friendly to first time players too, my dad actually purchased his own 360 controller and had been playing some games both by himself and with my brother. (His last venture into gaming was on the old arcades, his favorites being Galaga and DigDug)

Gameplay & Features

-Now, onto the gameplay. The first thing i noticed was the pace of the game just seemed slower than MW2. I think this really attributes to the lack of camping i found in all my games. This REALLY helped ease frustration of getting killed multiple times, i found i wasn't screaming my lungs out at the TV because it took me multiple tries to kill that same corner-shotgun camper. I think part of the reason that this happened is because you can no longer use killstreak rewards to add to your current killstreak. I agree with Treyarch on this one, you really have to EARN your kills to get your REWARDS. I think most of you can remember how many players actually used UAV in MW2...(never?) but there was near constant spy plane action in a lot of the games i played.

Some of the new features added to this game were the abilities to purchase perks and attachments, and to customize your red dot/focus sight. There's also a new in-game mechanic where you can dive while sprinting; I really have found no use for this thus far except it looks kinda cool ::cry:: . As for purchasing perks/attachments, i've got split feelings over each of these. On one hand, it takes away from the challenge to level up to earn your perks, which is part of the game IMO. On the other hand, you're really able to do what you want class-setup wise very quickly, which helps balance the game for newer players (or just lower leveled). You still have to rank up to have new guns be available for purchase, which helps make players earn their stuff.

quick edit* just got to use the L96AW... it actually SOUNDS and resounds like a real sniper rifle.. holy crap

Easing the Frustration

-Alongside the reduced camping, i believe Treyarch has done a good job in addressing a lot of the complaints from the latest CoD. No more game-breaking super knife lunges, no more cross map spawn kills with the nub tub, no more extreme camping when you are trying to get out your chopper gunner for that nuke. Getting rid of all of these has helped streamline the game to make it less frustrating. The new wager match playlists are really neat at getting very competitive games for those who are putting their credits on the line. I swear i've yet to see a single grenade launcher fired in my direction, and i'm greatly happy because of this!

And on to another sore topic for many of the MW2 fanboys; the quickscoping. Treyarch made sure to nerf this very hard. While scoping in on a sniper rifle, there is a half second of extreme wiggle on the sight before you 'stabilize' the gun to its normal shaking around. Sleight of hand pro only affects non-scoped weapons now. In my opinion, a sniper is supposed to lie undetected, and kill from A DISTANCE. These changes have done what i like the most about the sniper. If confronted in close quarters in MW2, a sniper can just simply quickscope his way out of trouble (If he's good). Snipers should not be able to "panic" snipe their way out getting killed. Besides, playing simply for montage material does not make you a team asset. Lastly, it's just not physically possible to quickscope at all. I don't know how many of you have actually fired a hunting rifle (they are VERY similar to the in game snipers), they just CAN'T be handled that way.

So Far Only Good, Where's the Bad?

-EVERY game comes with its flaws, and the new CoD is no exception. Maybe it's just me (or i have yet to play fullscreen with my headset), but i seriously am having trouble seeing or just knowing enemies flanking my sides. I've spawned in to so many bad flanks that I just don't know what to do. So far I am not impressed with the spawn system.

The perks; the tiers have been rearranged a bit, and i don't think they can compliment eachother very well. Putting marathon and ninja in the same slot reduces MY personal want to have a ghost-style class with both of those perks used at the same time. Scout and sleight of hand should be separate as well for sniper classes (maybe this is yet another precaution to eliminate quickscopers? Even still, i think they should be separate.) Also, flak jacket and tactical mask seem to be just about the most useless perks i can think of. The situational need for being more resistant to fire or tear gas just doesn't seem very useful at all.

Final Verdict

8/10 - It's really a solid game imo, Treyarch has done almost nothing but improve on the *generally assumed* garbage that was MW2. If i have the spare cash lying around, i will certainly be picking it up after Reach of course.

Thoughts? Discussion? Let's hear it :)
Helljumpers Old Guard

HWM What Name
Apprentice Gunner
Apprentice Gunner
Gamertag: HWM What Name

Re: My thoughts on the new CoD

Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:03 am

H3WM Cheeseball wrote:
no more cross map spawn kills with the nub tub

They took away my #1 way of getting kills.. now what am i gonna do?! ::panic::
inb4 haters ^^

On a more serious note, I think you summed it up very well, i pretty much agree with everything that has been said. hoping i get this shiny game for christmas :)
What

Mice
Master Ground Pounder
Master Ground Pounder
Gamertag: Mice o eciM

Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:42 am

H3WM Cheeseball wrote:
No more game-breaking super knife lunges,

wat
Being annoying since 1994

BUfels
Gamertag: BUfels

Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:01 am

From the cradle to the grave, it has been a walk of shame.

Jaime Lannister and La Dispute fanboy.

Prime
Heroic Ground Pounder
Heroic Ground Pounder
Gamertag: test

Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:41 am

BUfels wrote:

He only reviews the single player.

BUfels
Gamertag: BUfels

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:47 am

Prime wrote:
BUfels wrote:

He only reviews the single player.

Don't take his reviews seriously, it's just for a laugh.

From the cradle to the grave, it has been a walk of shame.

Jaime Lannister and La Dispute fanboy.

Rogue Sins
Gamertag: Rogue Sins

Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:37 pm

The was actually quite funny and pretty much completely true. I love his reviews.

An A10 Pilot
Ground Pounder
Ground Pounder
Gamertag: An A10 Pilot

Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:13 pm

"Remember Cod 4? Yeah that game had way more sneaking around, mind you that's where a nuke when off in you face. Now I call that juxtapostion!!"

That made me ROFL! There is no stealth what so ever in black ops, and this guy called them out. Good job treyarch for not following your own TITLE!!
How do Reavers clean their ships? They put them thru the Wash. :)

Rogue Sins
Gamertag: Rogue Sins

Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:20 pm

yeah the only stealth mission in the game is like 5 mins long and its not even hard. i did it and didnt even realize i was supposed to be sneaking...

Apathy
Passenger Wheelman
Passenger Wheelman
Gamertag: HWM Apathy

Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:49 pm

H3WM Cheeseball wrote:
No more game-breaking super knife lunges,

Umm, have you played enough of this? 'Cause there defenitely are still those stupid ass damn lunges from across a room that make Halo's Sword look like a pansy weapon....